Thread: A bit of help please.

amonamarth1997

Default A bit of help please.

After getting a whites tree frog 3 months ago I decided I'd have another new addition, I got myself an albino Argentinian horned frog, he's quite young, was bright yellow with orange spots when he arrived on Monday but on Tuesday I noticed he's turned more green on his sides, is this just his albino genetic fading out or is something wrong? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Default Re: A bit of help please.

I'm no expert so keep checking back until someone more knowledgable replies, but if it's albino, it probably wouldn't have green pigment, so maybe something IS wrong. Is the green coloring symmetrical? Like, is it the same on both sides of the frog? Any way you could post some pictures? Good luck

amonamarth1997

I'll get pics up when I get home from work, yeah it's symmetrical, but the frog seems active enough and any crickets I throw in disappear.

Hypnotic

Sounds like you have a lime green albino! That's perfectly normal. It's a special morph that can either stay or leave as they mature.
    The green can vanish and return depending on mood and other factors of the frog, but as it grows, it can either stay or dissapear for ever. On my boy below, the green dissapeared.

amonamarth1997

Yes! Identical too him! Wow, I didn't expect that haha, I just ordered him off of peregrine live foods as "albino horned frog" but that's really cool thank you very much, my minds at ease now!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Pacmans can change color as they mature, in response to substrate color/enclosure decor, or even due to stress .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

amonamarth1997

His substrate is pro rep coco brick, the stuff you leave in water for a while, and he has no cage decor just a water dish, doesn't seem stressed, eating well

Hypnotic

You should add some plants, I used to keep them without decor, but have noticed they become alot more active when given decor.

amonamarth1997

I will soon, but I quarantine everything I get so I like to keep enclosures quite simple at first, I got really strict on bringing new things in after I got a ball python and it gave my blood pythons and boas mites, so a valuable lesson was learned

Thread Information