Thread: Prolapse! Tongue or stomach

Naturaltanks13Dst

Default Prolapse! Tongue or stomach

So I screwed up today, and gave my frog a worm that was too big. He began to choke, and pull on the worm with no success! I noticed this, and placed a finger on the worm he pulled back and out came the worm. Some pink tissue also came out! I've heard of frogs regurgitating their stomachs in certain cases, that this happens often, and the frogs are usually just fine. Well he got it back down, and there was not alot of it to start with. However, he now looks like ****! Is he going to die? Should I leave him alone? Should I not feed him? If so, how long?

I'm relying only on internet sources, as I have no vets (with Herp experience) in my area for about 100 miles! Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Default Re: Prolapse! Tongue or stomach

First off, I'm no expert. You need to wait for one of them to give you a thorough reply, not me. That said, your description that the frog looks like **** now isnmt very helpful. you must describe exactly what seems different about your frog now. take your time, observe the frog, think about how to phrase it and describe it, then put down a good description. The more information you give, the greater a chance someone can help you. i really hope it all works out buddy. my rat just broke his foot an hour ago so I know exactly how you feel.

another thing I thought of is, how do you know he was choking? have you fed it worms many times in the past, or is this a new experience. i ask because my frog takes it's time swallowing worms sometimes, and uses his front arms to straighten the worm out so it goes down smoothly. are you sure that's not what the frog was doing? have you seen videos of other people feeding their frogs worms? how was this incident different?

good luck!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Would you please answer "the trouble in the enclosure" questions here as well as post clear pic of a frog.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

As stated previously; the behavior you describe before intervening, sounds normal to me too. It's possible the stomach lining came out and frog is not well after event. From what I've read if they can't get their stomach back in after regurgitating, they will die soon thereafter . How long is your Pacman from snout to vent (SVL) and what kind of worm (and length) are we talking about? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Prolapse! Tongue or stomach

Do you have a photo?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Never and I do mean NEVER pull anything being swallowed out of the frog. If the worm appears too large then cut what is hanging out of the frog's mouth off. Simple as that.

As for a prolapsed stomach...that very well could be the case. Survival after an occurance like this is usually slim. Also a little worm anatomy for you. They have claw like structure all the way down their sided in which they grip the inside of their tunnels with in which to move about. They can possibly grip the throat and stomach of the frog, especially if the muscles of the frog's stomach are contracting on the food item. If the frog survives never do that again. Best thing you can do is see a Herp Vet. If not possible then you'll have to wait and let him be, but do keep a close eye on him. There really isn't anything you can do yourself.

Nationality
    [United States]

My frog regurged her stomach once when she was very little shortly after I got her home from the pet store. When she did, she actually used her feet to swipe off what appeared to be a cricket head, and I used the tip of some tongs to keep her mouth from clamping down on it until we could get it worked back in (didn't know what else to do, and kind of panicked). But when it happened it was very obviously her stomach; her entire side looked hollowed out while it was happening.
    Other than not feeding for awhile and leaving her alone I didn't do anything, and she's fine now (close to 4 years later). I'd imagine whether or not they recover has to do with whether or not any damage is done to the stomach and surrounding muscles...

If you can get a picture of the frog it would be helpful. Like has been said, never pull food out of your frog's mouth. The behavior you're describing before you pulled the worm out sounds kind of normal to me; pawing at a prey item is normal. Mine will often pin worms down with her front feet while she eats.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Thread Information