Thread: Tadpole care

Xubby

Default Tadpole care

So, I've done some research, and frankly, it seems rather simple to do. Curious if anyone has any words of wisdom, though. Should be Woodhouse toads, but I'm probably going to keep them alongside what I THINK are a couple great plains leopard frog tadpoles, obviously separating them once size/maturity becomes an issue. Maybe an American bullfrog, but they're so much more massive I'm a little leery of it. I know there's potential for cannibalistic tadpoles, but I'm... a little skeptical about that applying here.

Basing what I'll do off of the basic advice found one sites like this, but a couple things I want to confirm. Is a simple diet of boiled cabbage and fish flakes really sufficient, no supplements/UVA/UVB necessary? An air pump doesn't seem to be necessary, but is it recommended?

I really just don't want to get hit by a curve ball.

Edit: Oh, and for the record, I've been breeding fruit flies, crickets, and red runners in high enough numbers that I'm confident once the get on land. I just want to make sure they survive metamorphosis.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tadpole care

Tank size depends on number/size of tadpoles. If not an established tank with a mature filter, should change 25% of water daily and replace with same temperature dechlorinated tap.

Vegetable fish food flakes (like ones for African Cichlids with spirulina) is fine to feed tadpoles. Can also use Pleco wafers that will become soft once soaked in water.

Recommend not mixing frog species in same enclosure. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Xubby

Thanks, it should be fun. I'm not sure how I got through my childhood without ever having a tadpole, hah.

dj1

I wouldn't use the algae flakes that they recommend for algae feeding fish, the tadpoles do really well, but when they morph, the back legs with splay and they can't use them. at least that is what happened a few years ago with some mantella tadpoles.

Thread Information