Thread: Your First Pet Snake: a Checklist of Things to Consider

findiviglio

Default Your First Pet Snake: a Checklist of Things to Consider

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    Snakes are almost mainstream pets these days, but I still see evidence that many people jump into snake ownership without fully considering all that is involved. In the course of my work as a reptile keeper at the Bronx Zoo, and now as a consultant for ThatFishPlace-ThatPetPlace, I’ve come-up with a list of important points that, if considered beforehand, will greatly improve life for both snake and snake owner. As always, please be sure to post any questions, or additional factors that you have found to be important, below. Please also see the articles linked below for my “best pet snake” recommendations. Read the rest of this article here Your First Pet Snake: Checklist of Considerations | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

limnologist

Default Re: Your First Pet Snake: a Checklist of Things to Consider

What would you have to say about the Northern water snake (nerodia sipodeon)?

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by limnologist View Post
    What would you have to say about the Northern water snake (nerodia sipodeon)?

Hello Cayton,

One of my favorites, have kept and bred for many times; not favored by most as they tend to resist handling by biting and musking, but there are exceptions. But very interesting to watch, and hardy. All US watersnakes are underrepresented in the trade and zoos. The linked article provides gen info, natural history. let me know if you need specifics on care of this or others, best, Frank
    The Northern Watersnake and its Relatives in the Wild and Captivity

limnologist

I agree! They are one of my favorites. They are easy to acquire, easy to keep, have good coloring, are easy to feed, and once they have been kept for a while they are not vicious. I also find it a plus that they live-birth. I think people should keep them more often.

Thread Information