Thread: Exo-Terra with background and crickets.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Exo-Terra with background and crickets.

I have an Exo-Terra 24x18x36 for four of my red eye tree frogs.

I'm using the background that came with the terrarium.

I find when I add crickets to the terrarium, they all seem to collect at the top of background. More specifically the small gap between the top of the background and the top screen.

Does this happen to you?

How do you keep the crickets from gathering in that small gap?

Will the frogs learn there is a cricket buffet up there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have a zoo med tank with a separate background for my White's tree frogs. Happens all the time. I don't mind, they always either don't make it to the top and are swallowed by my male (who is handicapped (one toe on each foot ) ) or they eventually come out and are swallowed by the female. They'll get with the program eventually. The crickets will start looking for food and end up in your frogs mouth!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Exo-Terra with background and crickets.

You could bowl feed also. There were so many tight places in my tank that the crickets were hiding and the frogs weren't able to get to them. Since I started bowl feeding them, there is only an occasional escapee hiding out in the tank.

ETA : I dont have one of those backgrounds, but I'm assuming you could seal it with some kind of silicone? That would mean taking apart your viv though.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

LiarDelilah

This happens with mine as well, thankfully the back is tight enough they can't go all the way behind, just up top. I tend to figure they'll under them sooner or later! Snack for later.

Nationality
    [United States]

An alternative solution for those so inclined is to remove the background from the interior and fasten it to the outside of the glass. The background still will serve in a visual capacity with no worries over cricket collecting.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

Nationality
    [Canada]

How would you fasten the background to the outside of the glass? The front of the background isn't flat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Isn't the whole point of the exo terra backgrounds to add depth to the terrarium?

Litoria
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [United States]

You can simply use a clear tape or alternatively a tacky putty or sticky compound that does not damage. In our treefrog tanks I have plenty of artifacts for the frogs to climb and hide. The background serves only as decoration and adds a nice effect peeking through the vines and mosses and makes tank cleaning easier.
    Live Feeder Insects That You Need For Your Frogs & Lizards - All Natural Fed & Pre-Loaded With Nutrition
    Starter Colony Kits for Roaches, Crickets, Springtail & Isopods Cultures & More
    We Offer Friendlier Shipping Charges & NOW ALL ORDERS FREE SHIPPiNG over 175.00
    Follow Us on facebook NOW DISCOUNT ON FIRST ORDER AT CHECKOUT www.readyreptilefeeders.com

LiarDelilah

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Isn't the whole point of the exo terra backgrounds to add depth to the terrarium?

I agree. This is why I opt to keep mine in, as well. There's so much stuff (plants, driftwood, leaves) in my tank, they're bound to hide SOMEWHERE, anyway. Just as long as I've had a visual that they are getting some food, I don't worry too much about them hiding.

Let them hide, but put in cricket food in the bottom or front of the cage on the floor. The crickets will come out to eat, and will seek out something easy and/or more palatable than the frogs or other foliage within the enclosure. This will also help keep them from eating the styrofoam - hungry crickets will eat holes through the exoterra backgrounds, which can cause problems if your frogs eat the bugs with styrofoam in their gut.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Co, Inc - Your one stop herp shops!
    "Like" us on Facebook for coupons, sales, and updates! - http://www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    Sign up for Reptile Times, a totally FREE e-zine dedicated entirely to reptiles and amphibians!
    http://list.lllreptile.com/?p=subscribe&id=1

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LLLReptile View Post
    Let them hide, but put in cricket food in the bottom or front of the cage on the floor. The crickets will come out to eat, and will seek out something easy and/or more palatable than the frogs or other foliage within the enclosure. This will also help keep them from eating the styrofoam - hungry crickets will eat holes through the exoterra backgrounds, which can cause problems if your frogs eat the bugs with styrofoam in their gut.

-Jen
    Also, remember to change the
    cricket food after all the crickets are gone.
    If you don't, it will develop mold.

Litoria
    Harpactira pulchripes

Nationality
    [Canada]

UPDATE: After settling in their new home, my RETFs have adapted to the crickets gathering along the top of the background. Last night I caught them stuck to the top of the background just waiting for a cricket to come out. This morning I noticed there was only 2 crickets remaining and some poop on the front glass. They know now where to hunt

Thread Information