Thread: Humidity issue

Bast3rd

Default Humidity issue

So I have had my Pacman (whom I am tentatively naming Jeffery Lebowski) for about a month now. I am keeping him in a critter keeper until he is big enough for a 10gal. I have had problems keeping the humidity up by just spraying the tank a couple of times per day. Mostly It would be in the low to mid 50% after I would spray it would raise to maybe 70 but then an hour or so later it was down to the mid 50s again. So yesterday I went out and bought a zoomed fogger and linked it a humidity controller. and set it to 75%. By this morning my substrate and turned to soup. My little guy seems to like it. He burrowed into it in the night. I have been under the impression that the substrate should be damp not soaking. I thought about adding more substrate but I don't know it that would help. So what should I do? any advice?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bast3rd

Default Re: Humidity issue

Oh yeah I for got to post a picName:  20140515_121737[1].jpg
Views: 92
Size:  121.9 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That wet substrate will become a bog and breeding place for bacteria (should be damp so it clumps on fist; but not drip water out). If fogger can't be adjusted; recommend not use it in the critter keeper. Also, if you use distilled water in fogger (recommended) that could create another problem for frog with distilled water soaked substrate.

You can actually prevent humidity loss by partially sealing the vents with aluminum foil taped to top. Try sealing back and sides first. If need to, you can seal up the front vents until 80-90 percent of all vents are sealed. That shout help maintain your humidity between misting .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Bast3rd

Thanks Mentat. I'll try that. I had thought in the past about trying to Cover the top to keep in the moisture. Also my fogger has a nob for intensity that I'll lower to see if that helps. By the way is your name a reference to Dune? I just finished reading that book last week and just started Dune Messiah.

Hypnotic

Looks like your probe is inside the substrate? Or what is that white thing? Are you taking measurements a little above ground?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bast3rd View Post
    Thanks Mentat. I'll try that. I had thought in the past about trying to Cover the top to keep in the moisture. Also my fogger has a nob for intensity that I'll lower to see if that helps. By the way is your name a reference to Dune? I just finished reading that book last week and just started Dune Messiah.
    Yes, I use that name online in reference to the Dune Mentat's thought process; which I share, without using Sapho . Have read all the books on the SciFi series. The best were the originals by Frank Herbert. After Frank died, Brian Herbert and others continued the series; but the books are not the same .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Bast3rd

That is a temp probe. I also have one that is connected to the temp and humidity regulator hang though the top of the lid.

Hypnotic

That might be the problem bast3rd, you want to hang your probe like an inch above the substrate for accurate reading. If you hang it up there and mist, it will go up and then down again fast, but if you hang it lower where the frog is actually roaming, your humidity will be alot higher.

Bast3rd

Thanks for the advice! The foil and hanging my controlling sensor closer to the bottom really helps.
    Hypnotic: I have one temp prob in the substrate (I saw this suggestion on line) and one just above. The temp between the two is pretty drastic though. The one above reads usually between 77 and 80 degrees while the one in the substrate sits around 85 degrees. Which one should I be focusing on to be in the realm of 80 degrees? Thanks again.

Hypnotic

You should be focusing on the one an inch above the soil, it's always cooler in the substrate, even in the rainforest. Since your substrate temp is higher then your ambient temp, I'l tell you to remove the heatpad from the bottom and attach it to the side, pacman frogs burrow to cool off, this way they can get burned.

Thread Information