Thread: stepped on toad with a hernia?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default stepped on toad with a hernia?

For the past week my yard and pool/toad-frog pond has been taken over by dozens...DOZENS..of toads! We've been trying to be extremely careful, but we're attempting to clean up the yard and unfortunately accidents happen
    As I stepped off the bottom of my deck step onto our walkway my flashlight shadowed the bottom step a few inchedls where a toad was sitting and I stepped on him
    I wasn't sure how injured he was so I brought him inside with my other toads, but in a separate container, so I can observe him for at least 24-48hrs be for releasing him.
    The nexted day I noticed several lumps on his left side, but I determined they're filled with air, however, there's another lump located on his belly slightly above his left leg and back end, close to but not touching, the air filled lumps. This smaller lump only appears when he struggles to get free or makes that chuckling sound to leave him alone...it pops out and I can easily feel something, most likely intestine
    When I put him in his temp tank I put several crickets in with him, which he's eaten, but he's not pooped yet. He seems to be doing really well, all things considered, and doesn't appear to be bothered by any of the air filled or possible intestine filled lumps/hernia.
    ***Here's my questions...should I keep him until he's pooped to be sure his intestine, and questionable hernia, isn't blocked from this out poaching?
    *** Or if this is something they can survive well with and I can simply send him on his way?
    Please post opinions
    Here are a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: stepped on toad with a hernia?

Sorry, appears there are serious internal injuries causing those lumps. Keeping it until it poops sound like good idea; but if lumps are due to rupture organs or an internal infection; that could cause the toads death. You could take toad to a vet for x-ray and examination and maybe get some meds. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the response Carlos
    The toads seems to be doing really well and its been 8 days since he was accidentally stepped on.
    He's been eating quite a lot and the "hernias" all feel air filled for a couple days now. He also pooped and is not only bouncing around his bin but is a master climber and escape artist!! Luckily I had him confined to my private bathroom, with the rest of my frog and toad posse, so he didn't get very far
    the whole idea of taking him in was so I could check on him to make sure he was okay and hopefully stop him from hurting himself, however I think the opposite is happening and he's going to hurt himself more by me keeping him contained.
    I made the decision to release him and he's been in my pool/pond chorusing with several other males and was hunting in the yard last pm, he is very easy to id, the other toads are completely different colors and hes got 3 scars on him.Name:  20140515_214445.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  51.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Fairwell photos:.(
    Name:  20140515_214404.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  51.4 KBName:  20140515_214351.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  56.5 KB

Thread Information