Thread: Tree frog part water part land non extensive build

Default Tree frog part water part land non extensive build

Hello frog forum! I have been browsing through your build projects as of late and let me just say, their is some neat stuff out there. Thanks for documenting it for us. I know it has helped me with some ideas for mine.

The one I'm building will not be quite as "intense" like many that I see.

So starting out I have a small tall exo terra (18x18x24)

Quite a popular little enclosure. I want a small water system and quite a few live plants. Now in my mini exo terra, it looks nice, however, it seems that the soil gets too wet. I only have some rocks with mesh liner to keep the soil from bleeding I to the water. With hydroballs underneath the soil with mesh between. Maybe I should have used more hydro balls?

Anyway I decided to cut some plexiglass in the new tank and silicone it as a divider. It's 2 1/2" tall in the front and slopes to 4 1/2" at the back. I sanded the corners on the bottom to make them round to fit over the existing sealant on the tank. This way the piece sits flat and I don't have to fill a gap along the bottom.

I used GE II silicone. Only after doing a leak test on the tank of course.

I ordered one o the exoterra styrofoam backgrounds (my used tank didn't have one) I like them. They are cheap and easy to set up. I plan on running the hose from the pump through it like I did with my mini.

Saw somebody edit a photo of their tank to show an idea of what they had for their project. I thought that was great!

So here is what I have in mind. I have more plants just haven't drawn them in yet.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions and info.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tree frog part water part land non extensive build

Awesome! I love build threads. Can't wait to see your idea come together. Bill and others are a great resource when doing a water feature. They are a pain and almost never work as originally planned lol. I tried it once and failed at it miserably. I plan on trying again in the future, but for now will live vicariously though builds such as yours
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Haha I know! So frustrating! I figure if I keep the water completely separate it will make things a whole lot easier.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have wanted to put a waterfall in my exoterra (same size as yours) ever since I got it. If yours works for you the way you intend it to, I will do mine the same way. The funny part is that your idea is almost exactly the same as the one I thought up, but I did not want to put a hole in my backing so I settled with just plain soaking bowls instead. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. Good luck on the build! I am in the middle of a Leopard Frog half lad half water build right now but I am taking my time on it as the babies are still tadpoles right now and in no way ready to go in the 55 gallon. I will post pics and possibly a blog on the build when I am done, maybe just a thread; I don't know yet? Thanks for sharing your build with us!

6. This member thanks MsBlueRose for this post:

Silicone worked great. Styrofoam came in last night and I put it in. this proved a little difficult.

The plexiglass I put in was at an angle. So I cut a notch in the styrofoam but it's such a tight fit it almost didn't work. But finally got it.

Then I had to take it out to put the pump in (^O^). Anyways I fed the hose through cut holes I made using a straw. Tape the hose flat so the arch would not push against the glass.

I used a filtered submersible turtle pump. Zoomed makes it. We will see how it does.

Next I put the gravel in with the piece of wood for waterfall, and then larger aqua stones I bought from the pet store for beta fish. They ended up being on sale so I got the black and cream colored ones.

Next I rinsed the hydroballs and poured them in and since I had some aluminum screen leftover from replacing the screen in the terrarium, I just measured some of that out and cut it. It worked really well.

Then I did the soil, half eco earth and half non fertilized plantation soil.

I love that piece of wood. One of the most expensive things I bought for this set up. Stupid pet stores.

Next it was time to put the plants in.

This really didn't take as long as I thought. I didn't think id be done with it in two days! Anyways marshmallow seems to like it. I hope this setup holds up alright.

Nationality
    [United States]

looking good! One suggestion I would add is to cover the soil with leaf litter. neherp sales it and they have the best shipping prices I have found. It will help keep your frog clean should it ever venture to the ground. The leaves will also decompose over time and provide nutrients to the soil. You could also look at adding some Springtails to the soil. They will eat the decaying plants and leafs. They will also eat the frog poop and turn all of it into nutrients for the plants. I have even seen my Springtails in the water. I think they like the bacteria in the water as well.. not really sure why they seem to flock to it.

What type of wood is that on the land side? It looks like a piece of Grapevine.

I only ask because if it is Grapevine it will quickly rot in a humid tank and will start to grow a very dangerous grey mold (the mold will make your frog sick).

BArnold

I have I believe the same type of wood in my set up. Everything is very similar but I have a full water bottom and a lot of fake plants hung up top like a canopy, the house from my filter comes out the top and trickles down over the leaves. I have noticed mold on the wood and am wondering what type of wood to use? It is partially submerged and the water drips on it also. I think it turns my water brown too. What type of wood works best in humid habitats?

What he said^

Nationality
    [United States]

Malaysian Driftwood works great. It doesn't float in water and resists breaking down. The Driftwood may develop some white mold when it is first introduced into the environment, but that is mostly harmless and will clear up in a couple weeks.

Ghost wood also works great and Manzaniti <sp>.

I made the same mistake with the grapevine myself.

The water turning brown is not a bad thing, but to avoid that as much as possible you can soak the wood in a bucket of water to help remove the tannins from the wood. You will want to soak it for 1 - 2 weeks changing the water out of the bucket every other day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    looking good! One suggestion I would add is to cover the soil with leaf litter. neherp sales it and they have the best shipping prices I have found. It will help keep your frog clean should it ever venture to the ground. The leaves will also decompose over time and provide nutrients to the soil. You could also look at adding some Springtails to the soil. They will eat the decaying plants and leafs. They will also eat the frog poop and turn all of it into nutrients for the plants. I have even seen my Springtails in the water. I think they like the bacteria in the water as well.. not really sure why they seem to flock to it.

What type of wood is that on the land side? It looks like a piece of Grapevine.

I only ask because if it is Grapevine it will quickly rot in a humid tank and will start to grow a very dangerous grey mold (the mold will make your frog sick).
    It didn't say grapevine when I bought it but I think it is.

Will it mold soon? I don't have it touching water and my humidity is around 65-70%

Also I have been trying to come up with a way to set up some springtails but I know too little about them. The leaves sound like a nice balance for the environment. Thanks I think I'll order some today.

Where is the best place to get safe wood?

Safe, commercially sold woods would be manzanita, mopani, and ghost wood. You can also use most hard woods (oak, birch, ect). Soft woods like pine will rot quickly and leave nasty bacteria behind. Cedars and redwoods have a toxic oil in them, so obviously, they are no good.

Tannins in the water are not a bad thing, in fact, it is thought to help with tadpole development. Personally, I prefer the blackwater look, it mimics natural environments found in most parts of the world.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

I buy all my supplies from New England Herpetoculture LLC - Home Page .

You can also pick up some wood found outside around your house if it is a hard wood. Any wood you get from outside or buy you should boil in water and then bake it in the oven. This will ensure any bacteria is killed and the wood is safe.

Springtails are easy. Red Eye tree frogs won't eat the springtails so there is no need to setup a breeding culture. Buy a Spring culture from Neherp linked above, Joshs Frogs, or any other Herp of insect feeder website. Then simply dump the culture onto your soil. The Springs will go forth and multiply while keeping the terrarium clean and healthy

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I loved the set up! And by looking at the pump you have used, I have the same one, lol; I am just to afraid to try to make the waterfall. I think after seeing yours, I will give it a shot. I will have extra plexi glass from my leopard frog build and I can make use of it. Thanks to everyone else on the advice for the woods and springtails! I am going to try and implement those into my leopard frog tank since I will have a huge, natural setup. They should do well in there. I amy even add tehm to my Greys home if it works out well! Awesome job on the build!

Alright so springtails and leaf litter should be here tomorrow. Found a piece of red oak out side. Sanded it down, cleaned with bleach and rinsed and dried in oven. It's not as nice as the grapevine but hopefully it won't mold. Plant there in the front is drying up. Don't know what I'll replace it with. Anyways thanks everyone for helping me make this tank look great!

And here's some pics of the frogs

Okay so scratch that last post. Springtails came in today and the leaf litter so I tore the place up and put it back together. QUESTION: are springtails supposed to be the size of lice? They were just a lot smaller than I thought they were. And I couldn't find all that many either in the container that got shipped.

Pics:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Love It! And it looks like the frogs are pretty happy, too. I have never seen spring tails, but I have heard they are tiny tiny little guys. Your set-up is an inspiration! (sorry, my daughter wanted to choose the smiley, lol.)

19. This member thanks MsBlueRose for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MsBlueRose View Post
    Love It! And it looks like the frogs are pretty happy, too. I have never seen spring tails, but I have heard they are tiny tiny little guys. Your set-up is an inspiration! (sorry, my daughter wanted to choose the smiley, lol.)

Haha that's okay as long as she's not like 30 yrs ok or something hahahaha

They did seem happy but all night they just climbed on the right side of the glass, at the top back and forth. Both of them were doing that, and I don't know why.anyways thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My frogs do the same thing after I rearrange their exoterra, I think they do it because they are not used to the new setup yet. But they always calm back down with in a day or two and settle in as if they have been in that setup forever, lol. I have decided that I am going to try and make my waterfall this summer for the Grey's exoterra. I am not going to cut a hole in the backing though. I am going to build a rock hill out of flat rounded patio stones with a place left in the bottom for the pump to go and then run the water hose up through the middle to the top and have it hitting the top rock from the bottom so it cascades down the rest of the rocks and hopefully it turns out the way I imagine it to look, lol. Your build was truly inspiring and I cant wait to make my waterfall now! Thank you so much for sharing your build with all of us! My friend even thought it was awesome, but she can't change her build. The plans have already started and can't be changed, lol. Best wishes! and Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by MsBlueRose View Post
    My frogs do the same thing after I rearrange their exoterra, I think they do it because they are not used to the new setup yet. But they always calm back down with in a day or two and settle in as if they have been in that setup forever, lol. I have decided that I am going to try and make my waterfall this summer for the Grey's exoterra. I am not going to cut a hole in the backing though. I am going to build a rock hill out of flat rounded patio stones with a place left in the bottom for the pump to go and then run the water hose up through the middle to the top and have it hitting the top rock from the bottom so it cascades down the rest of the rocks and hopefully it turns out the way I imagine it to look, lol. Your build was truly inspiring and I cant wait to make my waterfall now! Thank you so much for sharing your build with all of us! My friend even thought it was awesome, but she can't change her build. The plans have already started and can't be changed, lol. Best wishes! and Thanks again!
    Thanks and your idea sounds awesome! I had to ask myself before I started if I wanted rocks or wood. I went with wood but I think rocks would have been easier in the long run. Or at least cleaner maybe? The plan I to find that perfect piece of wood, and then drill a hole in it and push the hose through it which will leave it invisible. Waterfalls are the way to go, they keep your humidity right where it needs to be.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This looks really great, good job
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information