Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire belly toad gender

missclick

Default Fire belly toad gender

I recently purchased 3 B. Oreintalis
    when i picked them out i chose 2 smaller ones and one large one, thinking the larger of the three would be female and the other two male. (their names are Red, Green and Black hehe)
    after only one night i realized i was very wrong, turns out the smallest of the three is a female and the other two male. this is simply because of age/poor feeding im sure.
    i did alot of research trying to figure out how to sex them

Males:
    -Call
    -have rougher pimplier skin
    -have thicker forearms/front legs
    -do a special "unmounting call" when another male accidently goes into amplexus with it
    -have nuptial pads

Females
    -dont call
    -have smoother skin
    -tend to be slightly larger ( but not always)

I also read something about the coloring of them but I dont think it is reliable information.

anyways this is based on my research and own observations i just thought id share, i might be wrong on some of this stuff too, its not set in stone or anything

i will try to get pictures/videos soon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jace

Default Re: Fire belly toad gender

Just when I think I've figured out how to sex them, I usually end up wrong!! Out of 7, I only managed to get one right, but it's a step in the right direction. However, I have to say that my females are just as bumpy as my males. The only way I can really sex for sure is the calling and, in my observations, only the males will mount anything and everything. Oh, and the nuptial pads, which aren't visible on really young toads.

Kurt

Congratulations on the new orientalis.

missclick

thanks for catching my typo haha, i cant figure out how to edit my post, oh well.

and i agree, even if you look for all these things the only real way is by their croaking and need to mount nearly everything

Kurt

Actually, I hadn't noticed the typo until you mentioned it.

Jace

When I buy, I don't really care about the sex...the plumpest, or the longest jumper, or the neatest pattern usually catch my eye and then I go from there. I've attached a photo of my favourite, a girl I named Lichen. She is the only one I properly sexed and I picked her because she has been the only one I have seen with the two tone colouring. Makes her very unique and easy to spot with the others!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

missclick

thats a gorgeous frog! love the coloring i really want some of the brown ones too, its so hard not to buy them all haha

Jace

Thanks. I literally have to make myself NOT buy one when I go to the pet store. They are my version of the puppy in the window. There is just something about them. I have one brown one, a male I call Barkley. My other brown one, Oakley, recently passed away. I find the brown ones a lot harder to find, but as soon as I see another one, I might scoop it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

missclick

i wish i had gotten a few brown ones when they still had them, i think theres one left, hopefully it will still be there i really like that theyre active throughout the day

nana

I have 2 lime green,10 brown,2 nearly black and 3 two tone. From the calling and constant hugging reckon I have 7 males to 10 females......its getting very noisy lately lol

Jace

Oooh, I've never seen a mostly black one. They must be gorgeous! I think the two tones are my favourite so far. I really like the noises they make. I sometimes can't get to sleep unless I hear them barking away!

nana

The black ones are amazing hunny will try post pics when I master how to do it lol

Jace

That would be great-I would love to see some pictures of your toads. I'm trying to figure out how to post a video or two. I sometimes hate being computer illiterate!! Where is my 13 year old when I need her-lol!

missclick

Albino Fire Bellied Toads - C.B. Babies - $159.95 theyre selling albino FBTs i want one so bad, too bad they cost so much!

Jace

Wow-I'm not a fan of albino anything, but those guys look pretty cool. Very pricey, though! I wouldn't be able to justify that cost to anyone. Speaking of colours, my toads were incredibly dark today. Even my normally bright greens were almost black. However, after a feeding and fresh water top-up, they are back to normal. Could this be a temperature thing, you think?

Kurt

Maybe.

scribbles

Congrats on your new FBTs. I thought my two green ones were a male and female because they were in amplexus frequently and for long periods of time, but the one I thought was female started calling.

nana

I must admit I don't like the look of this toady and never thought I would say that about a fire bellied toad. Think I'll stick with the ones I've got

I have to admit I do not like the look of the albino at all.

nana

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    I have to admit I do not like the look of the albino at all.
    They are well minging are'nt they lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information