Thread: Ideas to make it easy for a caregiver while away?

LiarDelilah

Default Ideas to make it easy for a caregiver while away?

I have a pair of Whites Tree Frogs, and since one had an issue ingesting and becoming bound by the substrate, I've been paranoid and separating them at feeding time and feeding then in a little thing of Tupperware, and now recognize it as their feeding area. They stick to the glass and lurk when feeding time comes around, waiting to be taken to be fed! On my schedule, this is no problem for me. I love my frogs. Problem is, I'm going to be going on vacation, and realize most people aren't down to pull out/pick up a frog, so I was hoping I could go the traditional way by dropping the crickets in their home and just letting them go for it. I don't think they've made the new correlation, as they are still sticking to the glass and totally missing the crickets running about in their home.

Anyone have any ideas? I thought about putting them in a little frog dish but they would hop out easily. As for "just find a better pet sitter" which I'm sure I will get, that isn't always an option. Any tips may be appreciated!

Name:  IMG_5545.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  87.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Ideas to make it easy for a caregiver while away?

Does your tupperware feeding container fit in the frogs cage? Even if it's squishing a plant or two, just having the pet sitter put the entire thing in might be easiest.

You could consider trying the http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...owl-trick.html

Quote Originally Posted by LiarDelilah View Post
    As for "just find a better pet sitter" which I'm sure I will get, that isn't always an option.

It's definitely not always an option. Even if it was, I think it's still a good idea to set things up to be as smooth and simple as possible for your temporary care giver (like you're trying to do).

chibikaie

Does your vet do boarding? I interned at a practice that boarded exotic pets quite frequently. Their staff was very comfortable feeding pretty much anything that came their way.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I move my frogs in a small contaner depending on how 'hands on' your caregiver is prepared to be this may be a method you could teach your frogs then the care giver wouldnt have to handle the frogs? What I do is get a very small just fit the frog size of container, I then hold this infront of the frog to be moved and gently nudge the rear of the frog it will automatically jump into the container. My frogs are used to this and I only need to gently secure the top with my hand while I transport the frog to feeding bowl, holding tank for maintinance, health checks, etc. but it s just as easy to use somethng whch has lid. Perhaps your caregiver could then shake the crickets in wth the frog to save any further need to handle your frog to its usual container. I dont know if this could be any help?

LiarDelilah

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Does your tupperware feeding container fit in the frogs cage? Even if it's squishing a plant or two, just having the pet sitter put the entire thing in might be easiest.

You could consider trying the http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...owl-trick.html

It's definitely not always an option. Even if it was, I think it's still a good idea to set things up to be as smooth and simple as possible for your temporary care giver (like you're trying to do).
    I found a slightly smaller bowl that I will be trying in their terrarium tonight thanks to you. I hope it will work! It's a little tight, so I don't know if the pair can get in there comfortably but I'm hoping they will perch and go for the crickets, otherwise I will try so, others. Definitely have a container collection! Thank you.

LiarDelilah

Quote Originally Posted by chibikaie View Post
    Does your vet do boarding? I interned at a practice that boarded exotic pets quite frequently. Their staff was very comfortable feeding pretty much anything that came their way.
    Not that I know of. It's a little out of the way, because I have a million different types of creatures, so either way there will still be someone here to be caring for them, and I've called them before regarding help with a frog and they really are dogs and cats only.

LiarDelilah

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzie Greenfrog View Post
    I move my frogs in a small contaner depending on how 'hands on' your caregiver is prepared to be this may be a method you could teach your frogs then the care giver wouldnt have to handle the frogs? What I do is get a very small just fit the frog size of container, I then hold this infront of the frog to be moved and gently nudge the rear of the frog it will automatically jump into the container. My frogs are used to this and I only need to gently secure the top with my hand while I transport the frog to feeding bowl, holding tank for maintinance, health checks, etc. but it s just as easy to use somethng whch has lid. Perhaps your caregiver could then shake the crickets in wth the frog to save any further need to handle your frog to its usual container. I dont know if this could be any help?
    Well, the point was for them not to have to pull he frogs out. Mostly for my peace of mind knowing they won't be experienced with handling so on and so forth, let alone potential for escape. As for putting the. Rickets I'm with the frogs, that's what I've been trying to do the past few nights, and the frogs just aren't "getting" it. They see the door open, and come crawling out all excited for food, yet don't even think to look in their home for it. So, I may be going the Bork IN the tank method to see if they'll be more obvious that way than loose hiding in all the leaf litter and mosses.

LiarDelilah

Well, one's got the hang of it. The other is stuck in her ways.

Name:  IMG_5785.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  110.9 KB

chibikaie

Let's hope the other learns from the first one! Many people do use trained animals to show others how to eat food that they aren't used to (like when switching diets).

That's too bad about an exotics vet being too far away. I'm a bit spoiled in that my vet has worked with just about everything except invertebrates.

LiarDelilah

Update! Both babies have caught on and have a BALL hunting around, climbing over wood and vines chasing their food around, just like I'd always hoped. I'm still nervous they'll ingest substrate, but so far, so good! Thank you to everyone who gave me the valuable tips and input!

Thread Information