Thread: I need help on feeding my toad mealworms :s

Jessifer

Default I need help on feeding my toad mealworms :s

About a week or so ago I started farming mealworms. Just got a bunch and put them in a container full of plain oatmeal and I throw in some apple slices and carrots every couple days for food/water. The problem I have is this: I'll take a pair of tweezers and take one out of the container and I'll put it on this rock that is in front of where my toad sits. My toad doesn't notice it fast enough and so if I'm unable to catch it, it ends up hiding in his moss where I'll have to dig around to get it out. They're fast little things and my toad doesn't notice it in time so I always end up putting it in the same spot where I think my toad is able to spot it and catch it in time but that only works a few times. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this? I've tried taking him out once, setting him on my desk and having a mealworm crawl around him and that worked once but I think he gets too scared and won't eat. I don't want to keep taking the worms out of the moss and putting them back on the rock over and over until my toad notices and catches it. He isn't eating enough because of this and he is very small for an American toad. I can fit him perfectly in my hand and my hands are tiny.

My mom wants to get him crickets anyway so he can eat whenever he wants but the reason why I switched to mealworms is so I can manually feed him and I also don't have to worry about having dead crickets at the bottom of the tank. I might let her get some crickets though because he needs to eat but trying to feed him mealworms is frusterating. He just doesn't notice it in time even though it's right in front of his face and I've already had a few get away from me and hide under all of the moss. I found them when I cleaned out his tank last night. Is there another way to try to get him to eat the mealworms I place in front of him? Should I take him out more to get him used to me and to make him less nervous? I know toads are naturally shy and he was used to me for a while until I would disappear for like 3 days out of the week so now it's like he has to get used to me all over again.

Sorry I'm rambling. I just need an easier way to feed him mealworms without having them bury their way under the moss. I don't know how to get him to notice them quicker. He'll sometimes pop his head up and he sees them but he doesn't go after them so I have to keep putting the worm back on the rock but because my arm is reaching over him it makes him duck and so he has to see the worm all over again. It's just frustrating and if there's an easier way to feed him his mealworms I would gladly like to know. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Xubby

Default Re: I need help on feeding my toad mealworms :s

A lot of people bowl feed in situations like this. Anything from a very shallow desert style bowl to a ramekin works fine. It's kind of surprising how deep of a bowl toads will eat out of. They also learn pretty quickly to check the bowl for food, so no worries on him finding it. The only word of caution I'd give is sometimes toads can get... overzealous while hunting and end up flinging a bug across the cage. Not a big deal, but something to be mindful of. You can bowl feed crickets as well if you break/remove their hind legs.

And, for the record, if you don't force it, the shyness should pass. It took a couple months to get the trust built up with my toad, but now she perks up when I stick my hand in the cage and hops over looking for a roach. It just takes time.

Thread Information