Thread: Toad vs. weed eater

Christy

Default Toad vs. weed eater

I joined here a while back to inquire about a toad whose leg had been amputated by a lawnmower. I'm happy to report that the toad (now named Sprocket) is doing just fine, is eating well, and is living the high life here in a 20 gallon tank. Sadly, however, my husband accidentally hit another toad (this time a much larger female) with the weed eater yesterday. He knew she was there and had roughed up the grass to scare her away before he started trimming (he even thought he'd seen her jump under our porch steps) but unfortunately, she hadn't actually moved and he clipped her. 3 out of 4 legs were affected. One front leg was nicked. It bled some but I think it's superficial. It's the two back legs I'm concerned about. The left hind leg might be broken. The right hind leg I'm sure is broken, and although the below photo doesn't show it, it's pretty mangled on the underside. My vet is out of town this weekend, but we'll get her to him on Monday. I know a toad can survive without a front leg (obviously, because Sprocket is doing fine). But this one will surely have at least one back leg deficit, and if the other one that's broken doesn't heal right, she may have 2 non-functioning back legs. What kind of quality of life would she have with 1 or even 2 non-functioning back legs? Would it be better for her if we just asked the vet to euthanize? I don't want her to suffer, and I don't want to keep her alive simply because her injuries didn't kill her. If she can never function like a real toad again, I don't think it's fair of us to force her to live like that.

Thoughts? Below is a photo of her.
    Name:  Toad Female1.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  59.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Toad vs. weed eater

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    I joined here a while back to inquire about a toad whose leg had been amputated by a lawnmower. I'm happy to report that the toad (now named Sprocket) is doing just fine, is eating well, and is living the high life here in a 20 gallon tank. Sadly, however, my husband accidentally hit another toad (this time a much larger female) with the weed eater yesterday. He knew she was there and had roughed up the grass to scare her away before he started trimming (he even thought he'd seen her jump under our porch steps) but unfortunately, she hadn't actually moved and he clipped her. 3 out of 4 legs were affected. One front leg was nicked. It bled some but I think it's superficial. It's the two back legs I'm concerned about. The left hind leg might be broken. The right hind leg I'm sure is broken, and although the below photo doesn't show it, it's pretty mangled on the underside. My vet is out of town this weekend, but we'll get her to him on Monday. I know a toad can survive without a front leg (obviously, because Sprocket is doing fine). But this one will surely have at least one back leg deficit, and if the other one that's broken doesn't heal right, she may have 2 non-functioning back legs. What kind of quality of life would she have with 1 or even 2 non-functioning back legs? Would it be better for her if we just asked the vet to euthanize? I don't want her to suffer, and I don't want to keep her alive simply because her injuries didn't kill her. If she can never function like a real toad again, I don't think it's fair of us to force her to live like that.

Thoughts? Below is a photo of her.
    Name:  Toad Female1.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  59.5 KB
    Yall have bad luck with toads and gardening..... I once had a toad awhile back that couldn't use its back legs, not sure on exactly how she lost the use of them. She lived quite awhile without them. Just couldn't move around much.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, the one right leg is definitely broken. The left one looks slightly twisted, that's all it could be. I'm no expert, but first I suggest putting her in a quarantine tank with a wet towel for the bottom, and just follow the same instructions from the last post. I don't think she'll ever be able to go back into the wild.
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Christy

Yes, we're having very bad luck with gardening. It's really been hard on my husband. We love and care for animals, and he's so very careful. He's really upset about this. And no, she'll definitely never be a wild toad again, and I really hate that. We're off to the vet now. I'll update after she gets assessed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Christy

We just left her at the vet's office so he can amputate. Thankfully only one leg is broken and the pelvis also looks fine. The broken leg is a clean break just below the hip. He's going to keep her overnight.

Nationality
    [United States]

That is good news! (Sort of)

Christy

Lol as good as it can be under the circumstances I suppose. I'm just glad there wasn't more damage than that. And that both back legs aren't broken. Hopefully the surgery will go well and she'll recover. Looks like we suddenly have another pet toad haha.

Christy

Sadly, she didn't make it. She did alright through the surgery but died overnight.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Aww I'm sorry Christy Thank you for doing everything you could for this sweet toad though! You did more for a wild toad than most people would do for their pet frogs and toads that they paid for!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Christy

Thanks. We love and respect the lives of all animals. I hate we couldn't save her, and my husband feels awful. Let's hope we don't have anymore gardening mishaps.

Nationality
    [United States]

So sorry.

Thread Information