Thread: I'm new to this group and have a white's tree frog

Easternwolf

Smile I'm new to this group and have a white's tree frog

How can you make sure he is eating what he needs daily? How long is it good to keep moss in the terrarium before washing it or replacing it?
    As for the change in colour; he has been brown lately and sometimes I've seen him green, is this because of temperature change?

bshmerlie

Default Re: I'm new to this group and have a white's tree frog

I'll leave the technical questions for the professionals but as far as feeding goes, I put a small glass bowl with crickets in at the same place every time and my RTF comes running. He'll sit on the edge of the bowl and pick them off as he wants. This way there are no dead crickets in the enclosure and you can always know that he is eating. And 50% of the time he'll also poop in the dish so if you ever need an easy to get poop sample it's right there in a clean dish for you. Welcome to the forum.

Tropicok

The color change drove me nuts when I first got a frog but I have two that do/did it. My tiger-legged tree frog did it for several months after I got it but now it just stays green. My White's does it all the time and it just seems to be something only they know. Best guess: when they are cool and stressed or hunting, they are brown; when they are warm and happy they are green. It all adds to the fun of watching frogs.

missclick

color change has to do with temperature and what time of day it is and possibly how moist their skin is. my white's is very minty pearly green during the day but when he wakes up at night he changes to a dark olive green while sitting in his water dish.

as for feeding, I also put a bowl with crickets in the middle of the enclosure or sometimes take my frog out and let him eat in a different tub, this prevents him from eating any substrate. some frogs will not eat after being taken out of their cage though and spend the whole time trying to escape! I try to avoid handling my frog as much as possible though

Paul Rust

Great answers thus far! One trick I learned is I put a small glass candy bowl in one corner of the enclosure hidden behind some plants (I hate anything that deosn't look natural) I drop the crickets in from the other side after dark. As the crickets move throughout the enclosure they get hunted and eaten, The ones that survive the gauntlet always find their way to the candy bowl. Once they fall in thay can't get out. This is great because the frogs know they are there and can eat whenever they want, also I empty the captured crickets back into the cricket tubs the next day where they eat and re-gutload so I recycle them and there are no loose crickets in the enclosure.

Thread Information