Thread: ICU?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Exclamation ICU?

After a bunch of small crickets died on me, I went to a different store and got some ones that definitely seemed more lively. When I went to give my guys their feeding, I noticed one of them was lethargic after eating one cricket. It took him awhile to swallow and while he did, he was sort of laying. I checked his responses to see if he would hop away from me, but really seemed out of energy. I checked him out with gloves and he feels and looks thinner than he should. However, he was fine eating a few more calcium/multivitamin dusted crickets. I plan on monitoring his health, but should I move him to an ICU right away? Any ideas of what could be wrong? Husbandry-wise, he's set up ideally and there really seems to be nothing wrong. There are also no signs of impaction or any other disease I have really heard about. I really care about these guys and any help would be wonderful. In the meantime, I'm going to do a PWC just for safety.
    Мy darlings :
    0.2.0 Calico and Tuxedo cats Ksyenja and Koshek
    1.1.0 Xenopus leavis Carlos and Cecil
    2?.0.2 Bombina orientalis Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Lenin and Putin
    0.1.0 Grammostola rose Megan Wallaby
    1.1.0 Heterometrus laoticus Ian and Isaac

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ICU?

Some times it takes my tree frogs a few minutes to swallow their crickets or roaches and while they are swallowing them they just tend to sit there and don't really bother with whats going on around them. I try not to pick them up until they are done with their task but I have had to at least once or twice and they have not tried to get away. After feedings they all seem to be a little more slugish, I think it is from having a full belly.But with in a few hours they are active again. If your little one is not acting normally, it might be a good idea to move him to a separate enclosure until you can figure out what is causing him to act strange at least. That way if something really is wrong it won't affect the other members in the colony. You will have better luck with observing him, too, since he will be the only in in the tank. Good luck, I wish you the best with them. I care deeply for my frogs too, I know how nerve racking it can be when you think something might be wrong with one of them. I hope you can discover what is causing hit soon.

Nationality
    [United States]

I didn't seperate him out, because shortly after eating he was back up to bouncing around his enclosure. Luckily there were no health issues and everyone is as happy as a frog
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It sounds like he was just trying to swallow his meal and might have had a little difficulty for a minute there. I am glad he recovered quickly! Aren't they amazing little creatures!

6. This member thanks MsBlueRose for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah. I did an extra feeding dusted with a multivitamin just for safe measures
    But they are amazing creatures! Always so active or up to something. I have found them in the strangest positions on the flowers, filter, under rocks, and always somewhere new. I have one particular frog that will vigorously bark/try to swim through the glass. I guess he's looking for a lady friend lol

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
    Мy darlings :

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Lol, he sounds like my little girl, Lilly-pad. She is always looking for a way out and if I open the door she will sneak through the door and the wall and jump to my leg, lol. One night she snuck out after feeding and I found her sitting in front of the exoterra. Once she was finally free she did not know what to do so she just sat there waiting to be put back. Silly little thing, lol. I am glad to hear that your little one is doing good. Hopefully there will be no more issues in the future. : ) Best Wishes; MsBlueRose

Thread Information