Thread: Questions from a newbie: ACF eggs??

mommaB

Default Questions from a newbie: ACF eggs??

Hi there...I'm new to this forum...hope I am doing this correctly!

I am looking for some help with our African Clawed Frogs. We've had 2 of them for the past 3 years; one is larger than the other, but otherwise, have been living happily in a 10 gallon tank. I'm now under the impression they are one male and one female, as they have been "hugging" all day and there are now a TON of eggs in the tank! What exactly is a mom (one who isn't interested or able to commit to frog husbandry!) to do???!!??

Also, how often should I expect them to lay eggs? I would hate to have to give up one of our buddies, but I can't imagine having to clean out a zillion eggs every few months. Any suggestions on how to (or if I need to) manage their reproduction??

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

SweetApples

Default Re: Questions from a newbie: ACF eggs??

Maybe you can advertise for someone else to take the eggs on this forum.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello, and welcome to the frog forum first off. African clawed frogs can mate about 3-4
    times a year. There is really no way to control it except to separate them, sorry. However, most won't hatch and you can sell them to local pet stores, give some to friends, or sell them here in the Sales/Trade section. That or you can just get rid of the eggs, but without the proper care, the eggs wont hatch and the the tadpoles wont mature into frogs.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

mommaB

Thanks for the info If some of them hatch (and a few already have!), any advice on how/when is best for removing the tadpoles from the tank? I think I've seen some posts about how to feed the tadpoles and froglets, but if you have any advice about containers or type of food for the tadpoles, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Hello, and welcome to the frog forum first off. African clawed frogs can mate about 3-4
    times a year. There is really no way to control it except to separate them, sorry. However, most won't hatch and you can sell them to local pet stores, give some to friends, or sell them here in the Sales/Trade section. That or you can just get rid of the eggs, but without the proper care, the eggs wont hatch and the the tadpoles wont mature into frogs.

Thread Information