Thread: Red eye tree frog set-up help for Acrylic custom tank

Frogo

Question Red eye tree frog set-up help for Acrylic custom tank

Hi all!

I have just registered here for everyone's help and guidance.

I am planning on getting some Red eyed tree frogs and have some 5mm acrylic lying around that I would like to use for their tank.
    I am aiming for a good size vivarium with mesh top, around 60cm x 45cm x 80cm (nearly 50 gallons?) as I would like to house a couple and have it planted/water area etc.

So I would like to know:

1. What is the best heating option for a viv this size/acrylic combination
    2. Light source? (I am aware many believe red eyes do not require any but keep in mind I want real plants)
    3. Acrylic pros/cons (I know most but I'm sure you guys may have suggestions I have not thought of)
    4. Best Humidity/water options for this set-up

And that is about it for now! I am aware I am asking a lot but if anyone can help with eve one of my questions I would be eternally grateful!

I am definitely up for posting WIP photos as I go!

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red eye tree frog set-up help for Acrylic custom tank

Hello and welcome to FF! Recommend read this to ensure vivarium you plan to build meets the RETF requirements: Frog Forum - Red-Eyed Leaf Frog/Red Eyed Tree Frog Care - Agalychnis callidryas.

Heating needs will depend on room temperature. If needed, you would need to build a screen top and use heating bulbs since heat pads are a no go with an acrylic enclosure.

For plants you need a compact fluorescent or LED fixture that peaks around 5,600K color. RETFs are nocturnal and need darkness to become active at night.

I'm happy using drilled ExoTerra's enclosures so do not build my own.

You can mist the enclosure couple times a day or install an auto-regulated mister or humidifier to control humidity. Water features can be built into design or you can use a water dish for the frogs. There are many build threads in the forum's vivarium section. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Frogo

Default Re: Red eye tree frog set-up help for Acrylic custom tank

Hello!

Thank you for the warm welcome and prompt reply already! This info has already helped a lot!

I have already read through the RETF care sheet so I'm already ahead

I had ordered a mesh lid from Exo-terra which arrived today so the plan is to make the viv fit that and I know it will be safe with lighting/heating.
    Being in the UK it is a little cooler here and our house can get quite cool so I would assume I would need fairly strong heating.
    Maybe ceramic or infra-red bulb so to not add light whilst heating at night.

For lighting I was thinking a compact top fixture:Exo Terra : Compact Top / Compact Fluorescent Terrarium Canopy
    If you have any experience with exo-terra products, What sort of bulb would you suggest for it that would be 5,600K? Perhaps a high output UVB would be suitable? Exo Terra : Reptile UVB200 / High Output UVB Bulb

Regarding water features, is there a certain safe depth of water for RETF's? I would like to incorporate a pool and waterfall but worry about their safety.

Now I have the lid I can begin construction! Will post how I get on.

Thanks for the help Carlos. I appreciate it very much!

Thread Information