Thread: King Atlas - Hyla versicolor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default King Atlas - Hyla versicolor

I posted about this little guy on my intro thread, but I really wanted to share a pic also!

My neighbors brought me this little boy last summer. They found him in their basement and he did not look like he was going to make it. At the time, he was a juvenile, about 1/2" in size, nearly black, weak, and very sick! I took him to the vet the first day I got him, who was not very empathetic to the situation and told me that he was not going to make it without offering any other help. I took him home, dusted some fruit flies and pinheads, and prayed he had enough strength to start eating. He did! He grew very rapidly and now, eight months later, is 1 1/2" from nose to rump. He chirps up a storm now and I moved him in with my girls over the winter. I was nervous to do that because my biggest gray, Paddy, tends to get a little aggressive. She has never bothered him at all though. He was really shy at first and would hide if anyone peeked into the tank, but now he stays out on the highest perch and lets the entire house know he's there.

My kids and I chose to name him "King Atlas" once his pattern started to show because it looks like he has a world map on his back

About 4 months after I got him -

Now- He was chirping here, was trying to take a vid and took a pic by accident instead -

I wish I had taken pics when I first got him so you could see the comparison. He was in such sad shape.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: King Atlas - Hyla versicolor

Good for you for saving this guy !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Boy this froggy is getting loud now! He is beyond the sounds-like-he's-going-through-puberty cracked awkward chirping and into a full blown, makes me jump if I'm sitting close to the tank chirp. King Atlas is such a fitting name too, he climbs to the absolute highest part of the tank he can get to and let's everyone know he's there. My last male gray tree frog was never really healthy from the day I got him until the day I lost him, so his rare chirps never had the power Atlas has now. I didn't know what I was in for but I love it!

Nationality
    [United States]

My neighbor has 3, 2 females, one male and I can hear Bede calling when I'm outside. He's as loud as my WTF's, which we're always yelling at them to shut up. Doctor Who theme song sets them off.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That is awesome! My daughter's violin sets him off. They have a war over who can be louder I think. Probably good I only have one male!

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    That is awesome! My daughter's violin sets him off. They have a war over who can be louder I think. Probably good I only have one male!
    Lol! I have 2 young adults who make the same ear splitting noise you describe and now in an effort to get them some female company I have ended up with a confirmed 5 more males it could prove to be all 6 newcomers are male. They are are present at the chirpy stage! Which very soon will make a total of 8 adult males. Just wondering if I will need to move out once they all get going properly lol no only kidding but I hope the new neighbours have ear plugs! Oh our vacuum sets them off as does the neighbours drill

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzie Greenfrog View Post
    Lol! I have 2 young adults who make the same ear splitting noise you describe and now in an effort to get them some female company I have ended up with a confirmed 5 more males it could prove to be all 6 newcomers are male. They are are present at the chirpy stage! Which very soon will make a total of 8 adult males. Just wondering if I will need to move out once they all get going properly lol no only kidding but I hope the new neighbours have ear plugs! Oh our vacuum sets them off as does the neighbours drill
    That is awesome! Lots of boys to keep you awake haha. The violin/tree frog competition can get pretty loud, I can't imagine a tree frog/tree frog competition! Some days it's like...I think I'll just go outside until you two are done LOL

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    That is awesome! Lots of boys to keep you awake haha. The violin/tree frog competition can get pretty loud, I can't imagine a tree frog/tree frog competition! Some days it's like...I think I'll just go outside until you two are done LOL
    I get them calling across the two tanks as well as a chorus within the tanks lol one of them has a strange call but apart from knowing that the sound is coming from the large tank I cant isolate the origin. The trouble is when i put the tank together I made too good a job at giving them places to hide lol

Thread Information