Thread: Proud New Frog Owner with Lighting Questions

Lozard

Default Proud New Frog Owner with Lighting Questions

Hello,
    I just got my first pacman frog named Jesse, and I'm confused about lighting. I've looked at various different care sheets and some recommend UVB lighting and some don't. Most care sheets don't seem to specify any lighting requirements at all. Right now I just have the room lighting for a day/night cycle, do I need a UVB and/or a UVA source? I've answered the questions below if anyone can review my set-up and tell me what else I might need.

1. Size of enclosure: 30 gallon aquarium
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: 1 pacman frog, he/she is about 2 inches long.
    3. Humidity: 75%
    4. Temperature: 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: bottled spring water
    6. Materials used for substrate: Coconut coir
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials: various pieces of driftwood, a half-log hide, plastic plants
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv: I bake everything in the oven at 250 degrees before putting it into the viv
    8. Main food source: I have a dubia roach colony, so I will be mostly feeding from there, I also buy superworms quite often, but I'm not sure if my frog can eat these?
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often): I plan to dust every other feeding with vitamins and calcium
    10. Lighting: None so far
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: I have a UTH on the side of the tank.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: I've only had him for less than a day, haven't offered food yet.
    13. Have you found poop lately: no
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine): He is entirely buried up to the eyes in substrate at the moment, so pics to come soon!
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog: Not sure
    17. How long have you owned him/her: 1 day
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: Captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: I was planning on feeding mainly dubia every other day, and superworms for a treat if these are OK for frogs.
    20. How often the frog is handled: I don't plan to handle him except when I have to for cleaning etc.
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: living room which is fairly low traffic apart from the cats.
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): I plan to change the water every day, spot clean whenever necessary and clean the entire enclosure about once a month.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lozard

Default Re: Proud New Frog Owner with Lighting Questions

One more thing: Is there any rule to follow as to what size prey I should feed? My frog is about 2 inches long at the moment.

missclick

pacman frogs will eat any prey that will fit in their mouth from my experience!

limnologist

try integrating window sunlight into the cage and then you can just use a regular incandesent light bulb. you should have no problem with feeding the frog prey thats at least half it's size, they will eat anything!

Thread Information