Thread: Help for my white's dumpy tree frog

Druidt3

Default Help for my white's dumpy tree frog

Let me say this first, I AM going to take him to the vet, but since it's friday I have to wait until monday to do so. So in the mean time I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My white's dumpy tree frog, in the past two weeks, has refused to eat. The last time he did eat, he ate a large cricket and then threw it back up. Now he hasn't eaten since and is loosing weight. His bright green colour has dulled to a brownish green. I normally feed him meal worms and crickets but now he just ignores them. His habitat is set up like I was told to do it. Temperature is about 80F, humidity is about 70%, I use the repti bark bedding and he likes to sit and soak in his water dish. Can anyone give me any answers as to what could be wrong? Was the large cricket too much for him? But why can't he eat anymore now?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Help for my white's dumpy tree frog

There is a possibilty that the frog may have accidently ingested a piece of bark, thus causing an intestinal impaction. If this is the case, surgery will be required to fix the problem. Of course this is up to a vet to decide and diagnose. I do not reccomend bark for a substrate for frogs for this very reason. Same goes for gravel.

busytiredmom4

I agree with Kurt on this one. I used to use small bark in my terrarium, but after constantly seeing my toad ingest it (no problems arose luckily), I switched to beaked moss, which if it gets in their mouth, they can easily use their fingers to pull out. Even if a little gets ingested, it's easily broken down and doesn't cause impaction. I put a bottom layer of coconut fiber husk, which resembles dirt, on the bottom and layer it with beaked moss. Both kinds of substrate last forever because you don't need a lot. The brand I buy is by Zilla and it's about $4 for a big bag (10 quarts) and $3 for the brick of coconut husk. I've never had any problems with my small or larger frogs with this substrate. I'd say he's got an impaction also and get the poor guy to the vet. Good luck with your little guy-hope everything works out!

mim

yeh id say the same. it could b that the frog has eaten a piece of the bark. has he been poopin? my story is pretty much the same as renees. i used orchid bark as i was reccomened but noticed the frogs kept eating it and swallowing it. i now use a dirt substrate that u buy in block and u simply put it in a bucket with water. it doesnt matter it they swallow this as its very fine. id suggest swapping the subtrate even if it doent turn out to b the problem just incase it causes problems in the future. i really hope ur lil froggie is ok. keep us updated!

MantisMan

How do u give a frog surgery? Do u just numb it up and cut into it or is there more to it than that??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMan View Post
    How do u give a frog surgery? Do u just numb it up and cut into it or is there more to it than that??
    The Vet will put the frog to sleep with anisthetic. Which can be tricky because of amphibians don't always react well to it. They sometimes wake up during surgery. I'm not trying to scare anyone just informing you. The Vet will more than likely state this fact to anyone who has brought there frog in for surgery. It doesn't always happen, but does happen enough that they need to tell you.

Hope this helps.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by busytiredmom4 View Post
    I agree with Kurt on this one. I used to use small bark in my terrarium, but after constantly seeing my toad ingest it (no problems arose luckily), I switched to beaked moss, which if it gets in their mouth, they can easily use their fingers to pull out. Even if a little gets ingested, it's easily broken down and doesn't cause impaction. I put a bottom layer of coconut fiber husk, which resembles dirt, on the bottom and layer it with beaked moss. Both kinds of substrate last forever because you don't need a lot. The brand I buy is by Zilla and it's about $4 for a big bag (10 quarts) and $3 for the brick of coconut husk. I've never had any problems with my small or larger frogs with this substrate. I'd say he's got an impaction also and get the poor guy to the vet. Good luck with your little guy-hope everything works out!
    This was created (and ended) May 28th, 2010, and the thread-maker have only one post and have not been online since this post was made. Just something to think about before necroing

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    This was created (and ended) May 28th, 2010, and the thread-maker have only one post and have not been online since this post was made. Just something to think about before necroing
    Very true Martin.

Obviously this thread is over an done with. Not really sure why this thread was awakened once more.

mim

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    well spotted. i just looked at the date of the post before mine lol. really should start checking hehe

Nationality
    [United States]

Makes one wonder, though what happened to the frog....?

Thread Information