Thread: Calcium?

Monza geckos

Arrow Calcium?

Hi is it ok to use zol-cal for my Leo instead of powdering, it's a prescribed calcium and mineral liquid you mix in water I used it for my crestie. It's just my Leo hates the powder

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Calcium?

It's tough to say whether it's the proper dosing for frogs or not. I am not sure. Frogs are much more absorptive that lizards though. I'd still recommend the powdered supplement that has vitamin D 3 in it to be safe. I've never researched that product. Perhaps others that have used it will also answer. I never use anything unless I'm sure it's safe.

I alternate Repcal/vitaD3 and Repashy plus calcium. I use different schedules for different species of frogs (such as darts, tree frogs, pacs, bullfrog).
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Calcium?

I'm with Heather, a little concerned about calibrating the daily dosage needed for a leopard gecko and ensuring that it properly administered every day.

Does the product say what kind of calcium it is? Although rare, hypercalcemia is a possibility too and can have severe consequences; in which too much calcium is in the bloodstream. Calcium glubionate is the typical liquid form of calcium used to battle deficiencies and things like MBD due to to its rapid absorption and I would not recommend it for daily use in a healthy herp. Calcium carbonate is the typical form administered in powders and is much safer for everyday use (calcium citrate can also be used and is more readily absorbed than calcium carbonate, but I've found most products selling calcium citrate don't stick to feeders as well and are often used to boost calcium levels in deficient animals as well).
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

5. This member thanks JeffreH for this post:

limnologist

Default Re: Calcium?

Hi, I used to keep and breed Leopard geckos. When I got my first gecko, the pet store told me I needed to buy a bunch of expensive vitamins, and not knowing any better, I did just that. After about six years of keeping the wonderful critters, I learned more about them and thought "why not do it naturally?" so I bred my own superworms, waxworms, mealworms, crickets, and mice and fed them homegrown, high calcium foods (romain lettuce, beets, carrots, and radishes) and I fed the insects to the lizards, after that I never supplemented again, and havent experienced any adverse effects. It pays to learn about the animal and how it takes care of itself in the wild, try to mimic certain things, it helps. I hope my speech helps in some way.......lol

Thread Information