Thread: South American Bird Poop Frog?

CrazyAirborne

Default South American Bird Poop Frog?

Well Im catching the bug now, and Im bored with my 1 WTF, and so now Im in the process of making another upright viv, and Im looking around at what I can get next. Has anyone ever had Hyla marmorata's? Is the care pretty much like any other TF? Any experience or thoughts are welcome! How are they for pets!?!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: South American Bird Poop Frog?

I have never kept them, but I do have the closely related Dendropsophus leucophyllatus. The care is very similar to the Red-Eyed Leaf Frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I just saw some "bird poop frogs" at my local petstore for the first time. They are pretty wild looking. Sorry I don't have any care advice to offer, but I want to hear all about it if you get some.

Quote Originally Posted by adawinters View Post
    I just saw some "bird poop frogs" at my local petstore for the first time. They are pretty wild looking. Sorry I don't have any care advice to offer, but I want to hear all about it if you get some.
    When I read this I kinda thought this was a joke. xD I look into this there is a frog actually called Bird poop. So why is it called that? xD

HerpNwny14

I have 4 bird poop frogs and they are great,def the most entertaining of all the frogs ive had,they have such unique personalitys,they like higher humidity 50-80% temp from 75-80,i have mine in a 36gallon bowfront tank,paludarium set up(water bottom) with brazilian swords,driftwood,mushroom ledges,rain chamber etc....im adding 2 more bird poops and 4 clowns to my tank in the next month,there awesome frogs,i can give u my breeders phone number he breeds them

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I had never heard of these frogs and well was quite surprise by their name. I just looked them up and now I understand. Lol

Kurt

I wouldn't mix clowns and bird-poop frogs in the same tank.

HerpNwny14

the breeder i go through breeds clowns and h.marmoratas and he said its perfectly safe to put them in the same tank since they r from the same area and require the same temps n humidity and are the same size.....hes had his tank setup w 4 clowns n 4 marmoratas and theyve been ok for over 2 years.......

Kurt

My concern is with cross contamination. I would be worried that they would be poisoning each other.

HerpNwny14

Do clowns produce any type of natural toxin? i see you have clowns for your icon so you probably know quite a bit,i researched h.marmoratas for about 5 months before i got mine(best type set up,breeding,proper humidity,eating,tank size,temps/conditions for breeding etc etc.) I love my marms id hate anything to die esp since 5 clowns is about $115bux id hate to waste money too

Kurt

Clowns due produce some toxicity, as to how toxic it is, I just don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if marmorata did too.

Thread Information