Thread: Some questions from the new guy

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Some questions from the new guy

I'm a little new here. My name's Josh, and I recently acquired a green tree frog. Right now he/she (I think its a girl) is being housed in a 20 gallon long with coco fiber and sphagnum moss for substrate and lots of fake plants, a water dish, and a little coconut hut. I am hoping to convert to a tall tank, and plan to create a planted tank with help from junglebox.net. I just have a few questions for anyone experienced with tree frogs or all types of frogs:

1. Is reptiglo 2.0 best for a green tree frog, and are there any compatible ones from other brands? Also, 13 or 26 watt?
    2. What percentage of the tank lid should be covered with masking tape (that’s what I’m using), and what is the ideal humidity? Mine’s covered 80%, but doesn’t seem to hold humidity in that well, even though the tank is a 20gallon long.
    3. Which plants are best for tree frogs if I were to plant a tank? Also, could any be bought at Home Depot or Lowes?
    4. Can any vitamins or supplements for tree frogs be found at petsmart or petco, and which ones are they?
    5. How many tree frogs, juveniles, could be kept in a 20 gallon long converted high?
    6. What is the ideal temperature for tree frogs?
    7. How often do tree frogs really eat? I know that there are feeding schedules, but do juvenile tree frogs really eat every other day, because I’ve only seen mine eat one, and the other ones are pretty much untouched.
    8. Which branches work best for green tree frogs?
    9. Even though I haven’t yet converted my 20 gallon long tank into a tall tank (junglebox.net), should I get my frog a buddy? He seems lonely.
    10. How deep should the substrate be?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Some questions from the new guy

1. Is reptiglo 2.0 best for a green tree frog, and are there any compatible ones from other brands? Also, 13 or 26 watt?

2. What percentage of the tank lid should be covered with masking tape (that’s what I’m using), and what is the ideal humidity? Mine’s covered 80%, but doesn’t seem to hold humidity in that well, even though the tank is a 20gallon long. The Humidity is most likely being burned out of the tank by either your light or the heat source. More often than not it is the light that will suck the humidity out of the tank. Best bet is to try and switch to either an LED or a Florescent Bulb.

3. Which plants are best for tree frogs if I were to plant a tank? Also, could any be bought at Home Depot or Lowes? Pothos work great got tree frogs as well as Snake Plants. My Red Eye Tree forgs love the Snake plants!

4. Can any vitamins or supplements for tree frogs be found at petsmart or petco, and which ones are they? I use Rep-Cal Multivitamin and Calcium w/D3. My local Pet store has them. Here is a link to them so you know what to look for. You will want to dust the food with the Calcium 3 to 4 times a week and the Multivitamin 1 time a week.

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/food-nutrition/supplements-color-enhancers/rep-cal.html

5. How many tree frogs, juveniles, could be kept in a 20 gallon long converted high? You usually want to limit 1 frog per 10 gallons, but I am not sure with the green tree frogs.

6. What is the ideal temperature for tree frogs?

7. How often do tree frogs really eat? I know that there are feeding schedules, but do juvenile tree frogs really eat every other day, because I’ve only seen mine eat one, and the other ones are pretty much untouched.

8. Which branches work best for green tree frogs? You will want wood that can handle the humidity. Stay away from Grapevine. Manzanita works great. So does Malaysian Driftwood.

9. Even though I haven’t yet converted my 20 gallon long tank into a tall tank (junglebox.net), should I get my frog a buddy? He seems lonely.

10. How deep should the substrate be? Depends on if you are putting live plants in the tank. Typically substrate soil is 2 - 3 inches deep.

I couldn't answer all your questions, but it is a good start
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Some questions from the new guy

Thanks! I appreciate you answering what you can.

Thread Information