Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important question.

Default Important question.

After much thinking of what I would like to do with my new terrarium. I was thinking of making it into a diversity of american frogs. Because I kinda like the sounds they make. I shall post a video of the frogs I am talking of. Good thing my parents let me borrow their laptop....
    I def. would like these:
    YouTube - Spring peeper calling[/URL]

YouTube - Chorus Frog Call[/URL]

YouTube - Green Treefrog Calling[/URL]

YouTube - Pine Barrens Treefrog[/URL]

I mean in the wild "most" of these are all together. So I was wondering If I could keep atleast a few of each species (1male of each species) I wanted to make the terrarium like

YouTube - my vivarium[/URL]

I want it heavily planted like that. BUT I want a bottom like this
    YouTube - my new frog tank Vivarium 2/29/08[/URL]

I dont know if that is even possible. But I was thinking that the front part could be part water. I wanted the tank to be heavily moist. Would this work for a 18x18x18 exoterra? I think Iam going to upgrade sooon. My mom wants to use this one to put her plants in. So I was hoping to get either the large rainforest terrarium made by exo terra. You know? The one thats 18widex24long(i think)x24tall. Something like that. So I wanted to ask if this is something that can be achieved?
    Last edited by Kurt; May 27th, 2010 at 05:05 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Important question.

Play the vids all together so you know what itd sound like. I would love to get that sound in my room. I especially like the peepers, chorus, greens oh and i forgot to add this last one.
    YouTube - Gray treefrog calling 2[/URL]
    Last edited by Kurt; May 27th, 2010 at 05:06 PM.

I'd wait to hear from John, Kurt, or one of the other more experienced/knowledgeable members on this one but, from what I have read and based on a catastrophic personal experience it's never a good idea to keep frogs of different species in the same enclosure. Maybe your situation is different because they are all from N America but I don't know. Anyway the sound is nice, I have 1 white's about 30 feet away 2 american green tree frogs, and they croak like crazy at night time, however I'm a light sleeper and I am often awaken by the noise and it always takes me a good 10 15 seconds to figure out whats going on!

Paul Rust

You should not mix species, or even different morphs of the same species.

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    You should not mix species, or even different morphs of the same species.
    Hm but is it possible to atleast own a spring peeper or a chorus frog? For some reason I have a feeling its impossible. But i would like to find out. If I cant have either then id probably go with a green treefrog. I just like the constant sound. I also like the gray treefrog but the chorus and the peepers are my fav.

Paul Rust

Absolutely, as long as you keep the same species together you can keep whatever you want. Within your local laws of course.

Absolutely, as long as you keep the same species together you can keep whatever you want. Within your local laws of course.
    I want to keep captive bred though. Idk if anyone breeds any of em. I kinda wanna set up the terrarium either like a garden. Or a wetland forest(with orchids and such). I just want the tank heavily planted. I have REALLY bad luck with plants. I do not know why. But they all tend to die on me. I love orchids and such. But I wanna make the tank be more "wetland" like be in a warm climate all year round. Just because it kinda feels easier. I like american toads too. so that would be my last option if everything seems bleak in the care department. I dont want to feed the frogs a ton of pinheads or fruitflies. I just want simple cricket, worm eating frogs. :U Ones that will most likely call alot. That can adapt to the environments I just said. That can live past 8years. That I can see daily, and wont hide for the rest of their lives. Personally I think its pointless to keep something that you never get to see. Because then you could just have a terrarium and SAY you have said frog. You know?
    So here is my order of which id keep:

-Chorus frog
    -Spring peeper
    -Green treefrog/american toad (they're tied)
    -gray treefrog
    -pine barrens

Jace

I have a male Pacific Chorus Frog and the noises he makes are absolutely amazing. I could listen to a 100 of them every night! Sometimes it sounds like he is mumbling to himself, and other times he is full out calling for that elusive female. Other times, he makes the same noise as the creepy sounds in the movie "The Ring"....freaks out my guests and it's great!!

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Personally I think its pointless to keep something that you never get to see.
    I don't know what this means. I have darts that are very secretive and I see them all the time. I have Black Eyed Leaf Frogs that are fiercely nocturnal, yet I see and hear them every night for hours. I have Chorus Frogs and I don't see them any more than my other frogs. They just have different schedules and certain active periods. Most have several periods of activity throughout the day, or night. No species will conform to your schedule or be visible at the moment that you want to see them.

CrazyAirborne

i really want to find a couple gray treefrogs and make a natural native vivarium for them. Id love to raise them from tadpoles, but I cant seem to find any around. Tho I hear the grays calling....

I don't know what this means. I have darts that are very secretive and I see them all the time. I have Black Eyed Leaf Frogs that are fiercely nocturnal, yet I see and hear them every night for hours. I have Chorus Frogs and I don't see them any more than my other frogs. They just have different schedules and certain active periods. Most have several periods of activity throughout the day, or night. No species will conform to your schedule or be visible at the moment that you want to see them.
    I guess. I just want something that uses all the features of the tank.
    you know? I also like reed frogs. but never heard them. But Idk how hard they are. I realized I have to stick to small frogs. Even though I like pudgy things, the only thing that is pudgy thatI could keep are chorus frogs and american toads. But I cant find neither. I am stating them just in case I see them in the hamburg expo. I want something completely captive bred and healthy. Iam tired of buying from petstores. I always thought it was me that was giving bad care. When I was giving the same exact care as their sheets say. I bought some frogs from there. Died. Fish, they died. Crabs. Died.

Only thing that survived was stuff I got online, or caught em. And the whites which I bought off petco out of pitty, and amusement.
    I want something that I can either hold, or atleast see. You know? My friends firebellies are always active. I like that activity. You know? Even if its at night, I just want some movement, some exploring. :U I know frogs arent for our amusment. But my attention span is very limited. To the point I like to see movement or bright colors. xD I know I sound stupid but eh. I like spadefoot toads, but was told they ALWAYS HIDE.My friends chubby frog ALWAYS hides and rarely seen at any time of day or night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I have a male Pacific Chorus Frog and the noises he makes are absolutely amazing. I could listen to a 100 of them every night! Sometimes it sounds like he is mumbling to himself, and other times he is full out calling for that elusive female. Other times, he makes the same noise as the creepy sounds in the movie "The Ring"....freaks out my guests and it's great!!
    Nice. I like chorus frogs alot. I like fat frogs and such. But I think in the long run I would rather have something thats active. If there is such a thing as a hyper frog I want one. I want something that makes a nice sound thats not like my whites treefrog(his sound is awefull Dx) or my friends painted chubby frog its annoying and tends to scare the begeebers out of me. I guess Iam very picky. At the moment I dont mind if its exotic or not. I mean a while ago i wanted a pair of bumblebee dart frogs. But then I looked up their diet. Thats a hassle for me. I couldnt keep up with a diet like that. You know?

Jace

My Fire-belly toads are always active. They also make a really neat barking noise day or night that sounds like dogs barking way off in the distance. I have seen some amazing, natural setups for them and you can fit quite a few into a decent size tank. This species might be more into what you are looking for....

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    My Fire-belly toads are always active. They also make a really neat barking noise day or night that sounds like dogs barking way off in the distance. I have seen some amazing, natural setups for them and you can fit quite a few into a decent size tank. This species might be more into what you are looking for....
    My friend has them. So I was looking into something different. I like the reed frogs but cant find much information on them. All I find is "assorted reed". Im also interested in the pacific chorus frog, but I cant find any for sale

Kurt

Then you don't want peepers or reed frogs. They're tiny. Also, as others have already said it, but you shouldn't mix species in the same enclosure. Even if they are found in the same area. In the wild they may hang out in the same bush or pond, but they are never are as close to each other as they would forced to be in your enclosure. Then there is the cross-contamination issue to consider.

I would not even think of trying to breed one species to another. First of all it is very frowned upon in the frog community and second you may find it very difficult to breed two frogs of the same species, never mind two totally different species.

Also forget about Hyla andersonii, the pine barrens treefrog, it is protected by federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Then you don't want peepers or reed frogs. They're tiny. Also, as others have already said it, but you shouldn't mix species in the same enclosure. Even if they are found in the same area. In the wild they may hang out in the same bush or pond, but they are never are as close to each other as they would forced to be in your enclosure. Then there is the cross-contamination issue to consider.

I would not even think of trying to breed one species to another. First of all it is very frowned upon in the frog community and second you may find it very difficult to breed two frogs of the same species, never mind two totally different species.

Also forget about Hyla andersonii, the pine barrens treefrog, it is protected by federal law.
    Someone already told me not to mix em. I am thinking of species only and about the breeding that was somewhat of a joke. I can barely get my frogs to try to breed. I didnt realize the reed frogs needed such a special diet. As for the pine barrens frog I didnt know it was against the law.

Theres a thunderstorm. Oh if only my mother wasnt such a nag. I would ride my bike into the woods.

CrazyAirborne

Theres a thunderstorm. Oh if only my mother wasnt such a nag. I would ride my bike into the woods.
    thats funny!!! darn mothers always trying to keep their kids safe!!!!

Play the vids all together so you know what itd sound like. I would love to get that sound in my room. I especially like the peepers, chorus, greens oh and i forgot to add this last one.

I wouldn't even want one calling peeper in my bedroom. At a few feet away, they are loud enough to make my ears hurt. I'm happy hearing a swampfull of them call about 500 feet away out my window. Maybe one a few rooms away would be ok.

A gray treefrog calling in my bedroom works ok, I can sleep through it. They aren't at all active during the day though, unless it's feeding time. They'll do some exploring after the lights go out.

Keep researching, and be sure to find a species that you'll enjoy caring for for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I wouldn't even want one calling peeper in my bedroom. At a few feet away, they are loud enough to make my ears hurt. I'm happy hearing a swampfull of them call about 500 feet away out my window. Maybe one a few rooms away would be ok.

A gray treefrog calling in my bedroom works ok, I can sleep through it. They aren't at all active during the day though, unless it's feeding time. They'll do some exploring after the lights go out.

Keep researching, and be sure to find a species that you'll enjoy caring for for many years.
    I was looking for a treefrog,frog, toad that would be somewhat active during when I have the lights on. I kinda keep the lights on at night and I cover the tank at day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information