Thread: Home made Food

Spudsssy

Default Home made Food

Hi all,

I cant get my frog to eat pellets... I add them for my red tailed shark but the frog doesnt touch them. I feed him mostly chopped Cod and liver twice a week. The frog is nearly a year old at this stage and is a large female.

I decided to make my own DIY mix and he is eating it fine. Do you think this mix is ok for stable diet??

Recipe:
    10% liver
    20% Cod
    1% garlic
    2% peas
    67% Standard pellet

I blended the mix in a pot... added water and gelatine and let it set in fridge. Chopped it up and stored in the freezer.

Have you guys had trouble feeding certain foods to your frog??

Tanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Home made Food

You give garlic to your frog?

Hi,

I see that you try hard to feed your frog adequately. Unfortunately, meat (or liver) of warm blooded animals is hard to digest for frogs- as are peas and garlic (?!). Your frog wonīt benefit from those kinds of food. The fish is ok, but I would give it as a treat. Earthworms are a great staple food for ACF- they are rich in protein, calcium and vitamines and low in fat. Also, (almost) all ACF love them You can alternate with fish, crickets, mosquito larvae etc.

Are you sure that your frog is a female? Given its very black hands, I would have thought itīs a male
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

5. This member thanks Felis for this post:

Spudsssy

Hehe i thought males were only meant to grow around 3"? My frog is much larger....

Yep it has very black hands alright... does that mean its a male??? I was planning to post this question next =D.

I add the garlic and peas because it helps with digestion (It does with fish anyways...) A added a little liver for flavour... 'He' wont eat the stuff otherwise . Iv tried so hard to get him on dry foods but he only eats frozen...!!

I actually used to culture worms for my fish but i stopped it few years back... might start it up again on a smaller scale for the frog =D.

Hi,

ok, Iīve heard that peas and garlic may be good for fish, but I still donīt think that it is of any advantage for a frog

Feeding pellets isnīt a must as long as you provide a variety of other healthy foods as mentioned above. Whereas high quality pellets are a good staple, I wouldnīt bother to "force" them to eat pellets. My females occasionally eat some, but they are perfectly fine without.

I canīt say for sure that it is a male from the pic because females can have dark hands as well, although I never saw deep black hands in a female. Males, however, have black marks on their hands as well as on their forearms:

Name:  P3139186.JPG
Views: 716
Size:  137.8 KB

Females have a visible cloaca (looks like a short tail)
    Name:  P3139243.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  121.7 KB

males donīt
    Name:  P5199430.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  198.7 KB

Is your frog more than 3" snout to vent length or total length?
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks like a male to me from the body composition, my female albino ACF is known to have "dirty hands" too though but never past the finger tips. Only way to tell for sure is to check the cloaca

As far as getting your frogs to eat pellets.. my frogs will eat reptomin without any coaxing but I do like to mix reptomin pellets with wet/frozen foods such as daphnia and (freshwater)mysis shrimp. I think these foods help make reptomin quite a bit more nutritional.

I mostly feed my frogs earthworms (canadian nightcrawlers, bait shop variety) these days, it's good to mix it up with a pellet and the occasional cricket for variety of course.

Spudsssy

Cheers all!

Yep its male alright!

Good to hear it will be alright on frozen/live food. I'm going to start a small worm culture again for him . will pop in Homemade mix every now and then too.

Garlic is actually a supplement in some fish foods and you can buy garlic extract for adding to food..... Its helps digestion and boosts immune system. I always add it to my fish food along with tea tree oil if my fish have any problems. I don't think it will do any harm, Its only small amount .

Do you have any more photos of your frog? I could be wrong, but in that photo it looks to have a minor case of soft bloat. Anybody else notice that? It's the way the "forehead" looks raised and the legs and torso look inflated.

Spudsssy

Yes he has bloat.... which i why i changed up the diet.. I also reduced feeding. Any other suggestions?

Thread Information