Thread: Culturing aphids (SRS)(FROGLETS)

Elldee

Default Culturing aphids (SRS)(FROGLETS)

I am expecting some froglets and want to experiment with aphids. Does anyone know any plants that are easy to plant and grow fast that might attract aphids? I have a few on rose plants but I like to keep the roses alive and healthy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Culturing aphids (SRS)(FROGLETS)

I don't think it would be a wise move since aphids live off the juices of the plant which means it could be toxic to the frog, also not sure if they would have any nutritional value for froglets. I would stick with fruit flies and spring tails.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nasturtiums are used as 'trap crops' to lure aphids away from other plants. Aphids also love eggplant. With a passion.

I don't think I'd deliberately breed aphids as feeders. Not if you have plants in your house that you enjoy having aphid free. They can be a pain if they get a foothold in a warm environment.

theblackfrog2013

Farva bean aphids are what's been used in the past. You can search aphids for sale online and it will pull up suppliers that have none poisonous aphids.

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Most aphid species specialize on one specific host plant species or a range or closely related hosts. You would almost have to buy them from a source like theblackfrog2013 suggested unless you are certain that a population of aphids are using a safe host plant (remember,even if the fruit of the plant is safe to eat, the stem and leaves can be highly toxic). As Gail as pointed out, plants are often well defended against their phytaphagous enemies and often the insects who specialize on these plants can sequester the toxins for use against their own predators. Probably best to stick with known, safe feeders. I can't imagine aphids are all that nutrient dense anyway since they basically just feed on sugar water throughout their entire life.

I know Brian was not suggesting this, but just to clarify, never feed anything that uses eggplant as a host. They are from the same family as tomatoes, peppers, and nightshade (Solanaceae) and contain toxic metabolites that would likely kill your pet if you collected an insect that had previously fed on the plant material.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

theblackfrog2013

http://berkshirebiological.com/bugs.html heres a link to checkout if u want them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    I know Brian was not suggesting this, but just to clarify, never feed anything that uses eggplant as a host. They are from the same family as tomatoes, peppers, and nightshade (Solanaceae) and contain toxic metabolites that would likely kill your pet if you collected an insect that had previously fed on the plant material.
    Absolutely, it was more of a lament for our eggplant and a chemical free way to draw aphids away from the OPs roses. I should have made my daydreaming more explicit though, so thanks.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I know froggers who bred pea aphids. They'll only eat pea plants that are non toxic and actually reallllly easy to sprout in very simple and minimal setup.
    I tried finding pea aphids at one point but gave up on them... everything is so hard to find in Canada ehe but the fact is I will always encourage someone who wants to feed diversity to their animals. The more different bugs you feed em, the better but you gotta do it right.
    I wouldn't consider breeding random aphids are they're HIGHLY invasive... but pea aphids, if I could find em, definitely! They'd add well to the other 12-15 different feeders I have

s6t6nic6l

almost ready for my culturing of pea aphids, I have even have a pea plant in my Madagascan viv, for another sustainable food source for my critters. my mantella devour them when introduced into the viv. I grow these in a mineral rich compost!!

11. 2 members thank s6t6nic6l for this post:

Elldee

Quote Originally Posted by s6t6nic6l View Post
    almost ready for my culturing of pea aphids, I have even have a pea plant in my Madagascan viv, for another sustainable food source for my critters. my mantella devour them when introduced into the viv. I grow these in a mineral rich compost!!

How do you grow your peas?

theblackfrog2013

I was told the best way is to germinate the seeds on a window seal in a paper towel. Once sprouted you can transplant into lided 32oz deli cups.

s6t6nic6l

Quote Originally Posted by Elldee View Post
    How do you grow your peas?

using this self watering propagator with said quality compost I just place a dried pea or two on top and leave. pack or box of dried peas is all you need.

Thread Information