Thread: Dealing with the heat.

spock22a

Default Dealing with the heat.

As the summer months get closer, its occurred to me to start to think about how to keep my frog safe during the hot summer months. I believe the place I am subletting at may have ac, but its not a definite and I'm not sure how much it would be in use due to funding constraints with electricity and other utilities. As of right now temperatures are in the 60s, so I have several months to plan for what to do. I'm in MA, so it gets up to the 90s or 100s, which would be too hot for my little guy from my understanding. I was thinking of getting a fan for over the enclosure, but wasn't sure how good that would be for the heat of the summer. What suggestions, if any, do you have?

I've had some ideas, but wasn't sure how good they would be. Having cooled water in the fridge that I could mix with room temp water to make it slightly cooler seemed like an idea for adjusting the tank temp. It would be mixed so that it was at a temp that wouldn't hurt the frog. I was also toying with the idea with making some ice cubes with tank prepared water. Wasn't sure how good of an idea this would be, but thought that I could bury them in the substrate. That way the ice wouldn't catch on the skin, and there would be some distance to reduce temperature changes and things, but it would lower the surrounding temperature so that he won't over heat. Was also considering taking small amounts of ice shavings, and putting a small amount in his water dish. As I'm thinking, that one doesn't seem to be as good of an idea, but its the best I've got.

Thanks!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

spock22a

Default Re: Dealing with the heat.

That's cool. Do you know how much it would cost in comparison to a regular ac bill? Just wondering in terms of electricity usage.

spock22a

Although, it only gives about five hours he says in the video. That wouldn't be good if it stopped working while I was at work, leaving my frog in the heat..... Also, have you made one of these? What was the white thing in the middle? He never gave a list for the required things.

I plan on making mine this summer. I'm sure that energy consumption would be much less than a household a/c unit, since you are only running a small fan vs. a larger fan/compressor combo.

I wouldn't use this as a replacement for a regular a/c until. But as an emergency, supplemental unit, I could see it's merits.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

7. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

spock22a

Its defiantly a good idea, but it also has a lot of drawbacks. For energy usage you also have to think of the amount of energy which would go into freezing the water. Also, if the power went out there wouldn't be any way to run the unit. I can't really afford a solar panel like he had, and from what I know of the room I'm going to live in there wouldn't be enough light for one to be much use..

Just wondering, but did you think any of my other ideas were good or bad. I'd like to know for going into the summer how many options I have to work with. The improve ac unit will definitely be one of the things I remember for the heat of the year, particularly sense in a crunch I could buy some pre-frozen ice and then use the water for my bonsais...

Freezing the water, I didn't take into account because a 10lb bag of ice at the store is about $2.
    The other ideas you had work well (cooler water and ice cubes). I have used those tricks on my fish tanks for a long time. Depending on the enclosure, a small desktop fan on top also helps.

I'm sure other will have more ideas. It's just slow today being a holiday and all.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Tongue Flicker

We just had 98F(36.6C) yesterday and my tree frog is dealing better than expected. During this season i normally just increase the ventilation to prevent hot air from accumulating inside, focusing a fan and placing my tanks in a dark corner. Upside is that our humidity is high as well so increasing the ventilation won't dry up the frog

Thread Information