Thread: Adopting a Blind Pacman

JFowl

Question Adopting a Blind Pacman

Hello! So I work at Petsmart with all the animals. As some people may know, if Petsmart acquirers animals that are "unfit" to be sold then we put them up for adoption. This past Thursday we got a new shipment of reptiles in. After taking out the new Pacman frog, I noticed his eyes were very puffy and cloudy. I immediately set him/her up in iso and made a vet appointment. His/her appointment was Saturday morning. Turns out that he/she is blind in the right eye and well on the way to being blind in the left as well. We were prescribed Gentamicin in hopes that we could save the left eye. I have decided to adopt him/her but I know very little about these guys. I am also concerned about how well he/she may eat if he/she does go blind. Hopefully I can help him/her have a long and happy life.

His/Her name is now "Tiki" and he/she is just over the size of a quarter. I've got a tank all set up and know how to care for these guys just from doing it at work. No clue what gender yet. I believe Tiki is a Ceratophrys cranwelli, but I will post a picture today after work just in case.

So my question for you all is: How does one take care of a blind baby pacman?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Adopting a Blind Pacman

No one has answered you so,I will..I,guess you take care of him just like one that can see,except with more patience and dedication.maybe keep holding the food closer.i don't see a reason why a blind frog can't live a nice,long life,so more power to you....

cjbage

tong feeding will probably be best, take the appropriate sized insect/worm/food piece hold it in tongs and carefully put it near the frogs mouth, you may need to rub its lips or across its feet to get a bite response but with patience and practice it should learn to eat from them. dont forget to read the care article located here on the forum. good luck to you

Nationality
    [United States]

Depending on the level of sight loss you may have to do a couple of assist feeds before it realizes that tongs pressing a worm to its lips means food (by all means, try normal tong-feeding first, just saying that you may have to go a bit further than that if it doesn't work). Frogs rely heavily on sight to eat, so it may take awhile to wire new feeding behaviors into their brains.

I have a garter snake that went blind in his old age. He had to re-learn how to eat initially, but he's been doing fine for several years now with no sight.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

6. This member thanks DVirginiana for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with DVirginiana.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, rubbing the worm on his/her lips should do the job. Sometimes you have to do that with young our stubborn eaters, anyway.

Sent from my Coolpad Flo using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This brings up a question for me that I've never thought to ask before... Can frogs smell??

I have a cat who has been blind since he was a kitten, and finds his food no problem by smell and memory. I don't think that would be as easy for a frog. I do think the tong feeding idea is spot on though, once he realizes you're giving him/her food, it will have no problem eating.

Congrats on your new baby and good for you taking on a special needs pet
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Hypnotic

I've read that frogs actually have a good sense of smell but as DVirginiana said, frogs rely on movement to eat.
    It's comparable to the black tailed prairiedog I've owned, prairiedogs have the risk of a nose tumor, once they get this tumor, it makes them get the sensation of suffocating. Eventhough they can breath to their mouths, they aren't wired to do so.
    So, even with a great sense of smell, I doubt our frogs use it to hunt.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    This brings up a question for me that I've never thought to ask before... Can frogs smell??

I have actually done an experiment with my pet Anaxyrus Americanus where I put her into a mouse maze, and placed a worm in different areas to test her senses. One time, I placed the worm right next to her, but behind a wall. Instead of running the maze she tried to force herself into the wall that was blocking the worm. Thus maybe implying they do have a sense of smell.
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine definitely reacts differently to fish than worms. With the worms it usually takes a bit for her to perk up and realize there's food around, but when I have fish anywhere in the room she's immediately on a hair trigger.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Thread Information