Thread: Another new Owner looking for advice.

Bast3rd

Default Another new Owner looking for advice.

Any advice for a first time Pacman owner? Got him yesterday. So far he is not eating yet. Not too worried yet, but at what point should I start? And at what point should I consider force feeding? And how? And advice about any aspect of owning and maintaining a enclosure would be much appreciated.
    1. Size of enclosure: 10gal but blocked off by a bush to seem smaller.
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: 1 baby pacman
    3. Humidity: about 85
    4. Temperature: 80 degrees on the warm side using a probe in the substrate. 75 on the cool side. But I think it drops too low at night. Any advice on temp control? I am using a heat pad on one side. I don’t want to have to keep the heat on in my apt.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: bottled or dechlorinated tap.
    6. Materials used for substrate: ecoearth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.: one plant blocking half the tank to make it seem smaller a water dish a food dish (he is not eating yet so I am leaving some in there just in case). And a plastic log for hiding.
    8. Main food source: night crawlers is what I am trying, but he don’t want to eat.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often): none yet. But the plan is ever other day alternating between the 2.
    10. Lighting: Just a desk lamp so far. Any suggestions?
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: one heat pad on one side.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: Just got him yesterday. So probably 2 days.
    13. Have you found poop lately: No. how often should I?
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog: brand freaking new!
    17. How long have you owned him/her: about 25 hours.
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: Bred by Mike.
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: none yet. I would like to stay away from crickets. They seem like a lot of work to gut load and are low in nutrition.
    20. How often the frog is handled: Unfortunately probably too much. I am taking him out of the substrate and putting him in a critter keeper to try and feed him.
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: as low a traffic area as can be in my place. Its in my bed room on my desk.
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): Havent had to clean yet, but water change, and sprayed daily.
    Name:  20140417_105523[1].jpg
Views: 140
Size:  40.9 KBName:  20140418_111311[1].jpg
Views: 134
Size:  63.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

cjbage

Default Re: Another new Owner looking for advice.

Welcome to the forum, here is a good care sheet :Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

This is what I use for temperature control and humidity control. A Hygrotherm controller, attached to a Ceramic Heat Emitter ( 60w in my case as per watt limits on lamp ) and a cool mist humidifier modded to use a food/drink safe vinyl hose going into the tank. The controller can be set for daytime, night time and humidity levels and double checked with a good digital therm/hygrometer combo that can be bought at local petstore.

Those analog dial things you have are not accurate in the least, my advice is to ditch them, see above the temps need to be about 82-84° during the day with a few degree drop at night, this is why I suggest the controller w/ CHE it helps alot with the control. Humidity around 70-80 is good, closer to 80 seems to be what most people keep them at.

Nightcrawlers if fed is to be cut for baby about the size of their mouths, here is a good dusting schedule : http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html

Substrate, ecoearth is great, have it moistened with de-chlorinated water, moist and clumping when you pick it up and squeeze it but not dripping wet.

Drinking water and any water sprayed directly onto the frog should also be de-chlorinated with Seachem Prime or equivelent (sp..) found in the aquarium section of store.

There will be more people with great advice coming by shortly I am sure, but the links and what little I could advise for is a beginning, good luck to you and Mike breeds really great frogs.. so jealous you have one

cjbage

Oh and one more thing, cover your tank on 3 sides to give the frog a bit more secure feeling, use brown paper bags or something like that, background is good too

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have no advice as I don't keep pacmans, but just wanted to say that frog is soooo cute! Have fun with it.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bast3rd View Post
    Any advice for a first time Pacman owner? Got him yesterday. So far he is not eating yet. Not too worried yet, but at what point should I start? And at what point should I consider force feeding? And how? And advice about any aspect of owning and maintaining a enclosure would be much appreciated.
    1. Size of enclosure: 10gal but blocked off by a bush to seem smaller.
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: 1 baby pacman
    3. Humidity: about 85
    4. Temperature: 80 degrees on the warm side using a probe in the substrate. 75 on the cool side. But I think it drops too low at night. Any advice on temp control? I am using a heat pad on one side. I don’t want to have to keep the heat on in my apt.
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: bottled or dechlorinated tap.
    6. Materials used for substrate: ecoearth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.: one plant blocking half the tank to make it seem smaller a water dish a food dish (he is not eating yet so I am leaving some in there just in case). And a plastic log for hiding.
    8. Main food source: night crawlers is what I am trying, but he don’t want to eat.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often): none yet. But the plan is ever other day alternating between the 2.
    10. Lighting: Just a desk lamp so far. Any suggestions?
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: one heat pad on one side.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: Just got him yesterday. So probably 2 days.
    13. Have you found poop lately: No. how often should I?
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog: brand freaking new!
    17. How long have you owned him/her: about 25 hours.
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: Bred by Mike.
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: none yet. I would like to stay away from crickets. They seem like a lot of work to gut load and are low in nutrition.
    20. How often the frog is handled: Unfortunately probably too much. I am taking him out of the substrate and putting him in a critter keeper to try and feed him.
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: as low a traffic area as can be in my place. Its in my bed room on my desk.
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): Havent had to clean yet, but water change, and sprayed daily.
    Name:  20140417_105523[1].jpg
Views: 140
Size:  40.9 KBName:  20140418_111311[1].jpg
Views: 134
Size:  63.0 KB

beautiful baby! And everything seems to be correct! Just dont handle the guy at all, and try to feed in his home for now, and dont go too crazy and annoying , he is stressed out after being transported, then new home and then you taking him out and putting in a separate container. So just cover 3 sides of the enclosure and let him be you might need to start with crickets though and then move to other things later.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    beautiful baby! And everything seems to be correct! Just dont handle the guy at all, and try to feed in his home for now, and dont go too crazy and annoying , he is stressed out after being transported, then new home and then you taking him out and putting in a separate container. So just cover 3 sides of the enclosure and let him be you might need to start with crickets though and then move to other things later.
    The second bit about crickets I've noticed as well. I've got two pacmans, one ornate and one albino. I'm actually pretty new to keeping Pacmans, but I've really fallen in love with the hobby and the frogs. Both of them seem to of follow the same trend, come home, don't eat for a day.

I think most large pet stores just drop crickets in, so thats the only food source they're familiar with at first. I started with crickets once a day for about 2-3 days with tongs and then move to nightcrawlers. I'm not fully comfortable feeding my pacman crickets, but it seems to be the one food mine couldn't resist out of the box. Now, its mainly nightcrawler diet from tongs. Its a bit more difficult for them to get used to, but I have yet to have any impaction problems (fingers crossed).

Bast3rd

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into it. Especially the heat lamp. I don't feel like i have alot of control over the temp with just a heat pad. If you could post a pic or two of your set up I would really appreciate.

Bast3rd

Thanks for all the great advice. I definitely be making some changes.

cjbage

This is the basic set up I use, IMO I found simple works very well for these guys.

I have mine inside of a critter keeper w/moist eco earth, silk plant and a waterbowl and that is down inside of a 10g with a screen top, covered on 3 sides and some plexi glass on top to help with holding in humidity ( this may not be necessary for you). And don't forget water for bowl, substrate and direct spray on frog needs to be treated with a de-chlorination product.

I use the following devices:
    A fluker clamp lamp w/dimmer you can find these at your local Petco/Petsmart and come in a couple of sizes, I have the small one
    A Ceramic Heat Emitter
    Zoo Med HygroTherm controller can be set for day and night time cycle and if you have a humidifier attached can also be set to control that, its a huge time saver. Still need a good digital therm/hydro gauge though along with it, you can find one of those at local pet store as well.

Excuse the glare and water spots, tonight is full cleaning night and he/she gets moved into the full tank tonight as he is finally gotten large enough. Will be all the same set up just not inside the critter keeper. here are a few pics in this album that shows my very basic but quite functional set up. Nothing fancy ( except for the controller and LED lights )

cjbage's Album: Cedar Basic Baby Setup

cjbage

Quote Originally Posted by LJ View Post
    The second bit about crickets I've noticed as well. I've got two pacmans, one ornate and one albino. I'm actually pretty new to keeping Pacmans, but I've really fallen in love with the hobby and the frogs. Both of them seem to of follow the same trend, come home, don't eat for a day.

I think most large pet stores just drop crickets in, so thats the only food source they're familiar with at first. I started with crickets once a day for about 2-3 days with tongs and then move to nightcrawlers. I'm not fully comfortable feeding my pacman crickets, but it seems to be the one food mine couldn't resist out of the box. Now, its mainly nightcrawler diet from tongs. Its a bit more difficult for them to get used to, but I have yet to have any impaction problems (fingers crossed).
    Mine will no longer eat crickets, dusted/ non dusted, from tongs or not. since I started him on the Samurai Japan Reptiles Pac Man food..that's all he wants to eat. Going to try the nightcrawlers again, he refused them before along with Dubia, mine seems to be very very picky.

Thread Information