Thread: New Green Tree Frog wont eat.

KatR

Exclamation New Green Tree Frog wont eat.

We've had this little guy for 2 weeks and he's only eaten 2 crickets in that time. We've tried putting them in front of his face and just dropping them in the tank. He allows them to climb all over him. Not sure what else to do or why he won't eat. Help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Green Tree Frog wont eat.

Hi there,
    He could be adjusting still.... and it's very important he feel safe in his surroundings. So a quiet place in thehouse is good, also you can cover 3 sides of his viv for more security.
    I may be able to help out, can you please answer these questions:

1-size of enclosure
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?)
    3-humidity
    4-temp
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6-materials used for substrate
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv
    8-main food source
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    10-lighting
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12-when is the last time he ate
    13-have you found poop lately
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog
    16-how long have you owned him
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats
    19- about how often the frog is handled
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area
    21- describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)

(by flybyferns and griffthegreat, and others)
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

KatR

He's the only frog in a 10gallon tank with a exoterra mesh top. I've used a exoterra plantation soil, plastic leaves, and store bought drift wood. We keep our house between 23℃-25℃ and mist twice per day. I washed every in hot water and allowed t dry first. He has a 1.5" water bowl and a hiding rock but he hides on top instead of in it. Natural daylight/Sun down, cricket Fed with calcium powder very 2 days. We chose to gutload and offer fresh fruit/veg/protein to the crickets over a multi vitamin. I don't know what poop looks like, so don't know what to look for. We last put two cricket in the tank 2 days ago and one is still on there. Don't know if the other is hiding or eaten. It'll be 3 weeks on Sunday that we bought him at Petland. They couldn't remember how long he was there but the estimated 4 months or so. He is in our living room and we do have three kids, so I'll be moving him somewhere quieter today. Maybe need to buy more plants? We haven't cleaned his home yet but change the water twice daily and clean Pee spots. He is not handled as everything I've read said that they don't like that.
    Last edited by KatR; April 18th, 2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: forgot to answer a queston :-)

KatR

Pictures taken on Sunday. 2nd is my husband feeding him but you get the idea of our current set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah, he's cute. I can't quite tell if that's an american green treefrog, Hyla cinerea. Or a white's treefrog, Litoria caerulea. Does he have a white stripe going down his side?
    Either way, he'll appreciate more height and climbing space in his house. You could either stand that tank on end, or purchase a taller tank. It will do for now...
    If it's a white's treefrog (no strip down the side), he'll want a bit more heat during the day, up to 28c, and then a bit cooler at night. Your room temp would be good for night temp. There are many different ways to heat the enclosure. Bulbs, pads, ceramic heat emitters, etc.
    What water source are you using? If using tap (that's what I use), you'll want to treat with a water de-chlorinator that also neutralizes heavy metals. It's even a good idea to use it if using bottled water, even spring water. Do not use distilled water, except for misting.
    You're hubby is so cute, mine doesn't want anything to do with the frogs, silly. The gut loading foods your using are great, but you still want to dust with a calcium powder and a multi-vitamin powder. Carlos (mentat) has a good schedule I'll try to find and post the link for you... It's very important as frogs in captivity are prone to calcium deficiency and can get a disease called MBD (metabolic bone disease), which is very painful and debilitating.
    My biggest recommendations would be to move the enclosure to a quiet area (noise stresses them out), and cover 3 sides of the tank with brown paper or a towel. This will help the frog feel more secure. Also, try not to invade the space too much by poking around in the enclosure (not saying you do), and absolutely no handling at all unless necessary, and don't let the kiddos play with him (again, not saying you do). He'll get more comfy in his new home eventually, and get used to the sounds, etc. He jsut needs a little more time. And when you can, get a taller enclosure or convert your current one so it's tall.
    I personally don't like plastic plants, they have sharp points that can cause scratches or punctures. But if you do use them (many do), take a file and file down any sharp points, and be sure no wires are poking through the stems.
    And feed at night right before lights out, he'll hunt when it's dark. Try to get him on a 12 hour consistent cycle of 12 hour light, and 12 hour dark.
    Have fun! He's so so cute!
    EDIT: Hi again, just re-read your post and saw you don't handle, great!
    Also thought I'd mention that at some point you might want to do a false bottom (gravel or clay balls, screen, then the coco soil), this allows excess water to drain below and allows for fewer cage cleanings. If you have no false bottom you'll want to change the soil about once per month (or when it starts to stink), and daily pick up the poop (which looks kind of like big black pieces of rice), as he gets bigger his poop will be more visible...
    Last edited by Bolisnide; April 18th, 2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: adding...
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Here's Carlos' sticky on the dusting schedule he uses:
    http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

KatR

Side shot of him on our way home. We think he's super cute to 😊😊😊😊

I used bottled water but don't treat it. We do treat with a calcium powder every 2-3 days, is that enough?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

oh ok, that's an american green treefrog, Hyla cinerea. if I'm not mistaken, their care is very similar to the Grey treefrog, so this caresheet may work for you: Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding
    You'll want to treat the water, even bottled water.
    I forgot to mention about the multi-vitamin, it's important because the frog also needs vit a. There's a disease called 'sticky tongue' disease that makes it hard for them to eat, and it's like their tongue is stuck in their mouth. So yes, it's important .
    EDIT: wait, someone else better confirm, I looked at the photo again and now I'm not 100% positive its a Hyla cinerea???
    Last edited by Bolisnide; April 18th, 2014 at 04:40 PM. Reason: ???
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Looks like a Hyla cinerea to me. If it's not eating the crickets right away, you might try the http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...owl-trick.html so they aren't able to climb all over the frog.

I may have missed it, but how big are the crickets you're feeding and how big is the frog?

The tank is also on the small side if it's an adult, bigger is better especially in the upwards direction. They like to climb and sit up high, you're unlikely to find it hiding in the rock if the rock is near the ground.

It may take time to settle in, it's good advice to move it to a quiet spot. Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright,I think this is where we're at,your frog won't eat,has crickets crawling all over him,and you stick your hands in twice a day to change water.for now,don't change it twice a day,just leave it alone,,next pull out all the crickets and let him sit for 24 hours quiet.the next night,take a piece of cricket and impale it on the end of a thin guitar string..a.006 E- string,,and start buzzing it around his head like a bug.ive noticed that frogs usually fall this trick...

Tongue Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by KatR View Post
    Pictures taken on Sunday. 2nd is my husband feeding him but you get the idea of our current set up.
    I had to re-read the statement 'coz my first take on it was, 'my 2nd husband'. I was like, what?! Then ohh.. honest mistake lol..

Welcome aboard!

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with Brian, the tank is on the small side. I have two of these in the exo terra 18x18x24 but they were originally in a 20 gallon with tons of hiding places and lots of plants for cover. They are shy frogs until they get to know you, at least mine were and now my female will eat out of my hand. Cover three sides of the tank and use the bowl method. Also I don't see a source of heat such as a light. I run a 25 to 40 watt red bulb 24/7 for these guys to keep a spot at around 85(F) degrees (29.4 C) with humidity at around 60%. Hope the little one starts eating better for you.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

KatR

Thank you everyone! We moved him into a quiet spot and put him up high. Also covered 3 sides of his tank and will be getting a lamp tomorrow when the stores open. Planning on putting 2 crickets in his Vic tonight in a glass bowl. We heard him chirp twice this morning for the first time so I hope he's happier in his new spot.

KatR

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Looks like a Hyla cinerea to me. If it's not eating the crickets right away, you might try the http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...owl-trick.html so they aren't able to climb all over the frog.

I may have missed it, but how big are the crickets you're feeding and how big is the frog?

The tank is also on the small side if it's an adult, bigger is better especially in the upwards direction. They like to climb and sit up high, you're unlikely to find it hiding in the rock if the rock is near the ground.

It may take time to settle in, it's good advice to move it to a quiet spot. Good luck!
    He's about 2.5" long.

We bought medium size crickets as per the rec of the sales associate at petland.

Thread Information