Thread: Toad Care: Common and Unusual Species

findiviglio

Default Toad Care: Common and Unusual Species

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    Children the world over are often introduced to amphibians when they come across their first toad. Far bolder than typical frogs (and much easier to catch!) most take the indignity of capture by grubby little hands in stride, and leave all who encounter them with a favorable impression. With few exceptions, however, these droll, long-lived amphibians are relatively ignored by pet-keepers and zoos alike. After a lifetime of working with dozens of species, I find this hard to understand. Toads of many species (there are almost 600!) take well to captivity, and often become as responsive as do turtles. Nearly all feed readily from the hand, and they are frequently described as “charming” by owners. Many are active by day, while others are quick to discard their nocturnal ways. I still find American Toads and other common species as fascinating as Kihansi Spray Toads (which produce tiny toadlets rather than eggs!), Blomberg’s Toads and the other rarities I’ve had the pleasure of knowing. Read the rest of this article here Amphibians as Pets: Care of Common and Unusual Types of Toads
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Toad Care: Common and Unusual Species

Frank.this is Ted....you are without doubt the animal guru...

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Frank.this is Ted....you are without doubt the animal guru...
    Much appreciated...let me know if you need articles or anything, best regards, Frank

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Frank..you might remember me from the "other" forum.i moved over here as I like the frog people much better.first,everyone should know that you have a salamander over 35 years old.this is amazingly impressive.next..I use silk leaves as a substrate for my Surinam toad,I got this idea from you,and always give you the credit,,it is just brilliant..but you know what? I would love for you to thread or do an article on your early days in those pet stores,and more details about the "wild west " pet shop era,you know I just can't get enough of this...thanks ted

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Frank..you might remember me from the "other" forum.i moved over here as I like the frog people much better.first,everyone should know that you have a salamander over 35 years old.this is amazingly impressive.next..I use silk leaves as a substrate for my Surinam toad,I got this idea from you,and always give you the credit,,it is just brilliant..but you know what? I would love for you to thread or do an article on your early days in those pet stores,and more details about the "wild west " pet shop era,you know I just can't get enough of this...thanks ted
    Hi Ted,

Thanks very much for the kind words; much appreciated; and the feedback..glad to hear the silk leaves worked well for you. I would like to do an article as you suggest, thanks...balancing writing deadlines, but will keep in mind. You might enjoy the book Jungle for Sale...story of Harry Trefflich's import business, which I just caught the tail end of; he supplied most of the country's zoos and pet stores; a friend wiorked there for many years...you could see giant anteaters, gorillas and such at his place..a building in lower Manhtn; monkeys loose in the streets at time, etc...best, Frank

Thread Information