Thread: HELP! white patches underside, Pipa pipa

Fabrizio

Default HELP! white patches underside, Pipa pipa

Hello, I bought a pair of Pipa pipa at an expo, 3 weeks ago; I keep them in 60 liters, added a few cc of pure turf decoction, and nothing else. I give frozen Atherinidae (little fresh water fishes), and they are eaten; but I'm not sure both of them are actually eating. I noticed male was a bit less active, more on the bottom and with close webs, while females keeps them rather extended. 2 Days ago I noticed some White small areas on male webs and leg, and now, after putting him upside down, I see he has plenty of White Patches Could you suggest me a prompt treatment? Bleu Methylene? I have it in powder, how much should I put for each liter of bathing? Here his picture : http://i60.tinypic.com/2mequ7m.png

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP! white patches underside, Pipa pipa

The first thing I notice is you didn't mention the temperature,,,it's got to be warm..80-82 degrees f...also encourage them to eat slightly "subdued " nightcrawlers..raise the temperature..

4. This member thanks Ted for this post:

Fabrizio

Thank you Ted - The temperature is lower, room temperature (around 22-24 °C ) and I was said to avoid too high temperatures ( above 27-28 )... But I understand there is still too few knowledge, I can raise temperature as soon, female look fine anyhow. But what about White Patches? I can't say for sure if he had had them since beginning -female seems to have not, however. He has darker complexion since beginning, while female is beige. As to earthworms, I bought some in fish shop, but is there risk for parasites? Better to deep-freeze them previously?

Nationality
    [United States]

The temperature should be 27.2c...my 81 degreesf...they are from the upper amazon and are a tropical frog...my guess the correct temperature will take care of it,,unless it's just his coloring..keep the worms alive,,not frozen,they feed more at night so give them something to eat just before you go to sleep.i feed mine the same time every night,,or else he starts clicking at me..

7. This member thanks Ted for this post:

Fabrizio

Thank you Ted, I'll try to warm their tank _perhaps Tomorrow morning, it's 2,15 AM here in Italy and I would be well awake to put each thing right- So it's definitely safe, feeding them with live (or chopped) earthworms, as you buy them at the fishing shop?

Nationality
    [United States]

Exactly correct,,,fishing nightcrawlers,,now,ummm,,you have to "subdue" them,,they could be crazy powerful,I've seen frogs eat a nightcrawler, and have the crawler just bust his way out ,so you soften them up a little,take the fight out of them as it be..

10. This member thanks Ted for this post:

Fabrizio

I could chop them in two, they stay moving anyhow.
    I notice he's less reactive than female, and stays for minutes when I put him upside down, before turning right... I'm worried he could be weakened
    -Trying to ''force'' feed a de-frozen fish, or chopped earthworm?
    -In the case he has got some skin fungus, a mild methilene blue bath could be done?
    -What dosage (I have powder, not solution) ?

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm sorry ,but what do you mean "turn him upside down"? And then back right again? What? First,,,don't touch your frog,it's not that kind of pet,,next, these frogs can sit in one position for hours,so get used to it,,also no lighting,and blockthe back and sides of the tank ,you got to make your frogs feel like the amazon,they cant be stressed out,,,no touch...

13. This member thanks Ted for this post:

Fabrizio

I know, Ted. I avoid to stress them as much as possible; I dared to put him upside down just this evening, to adscertain if something 'strange' was on his underside's skin, and I feared some fungus when I saw these white areas..
    I wear gloves and used a plastic disposable spoon to gently put him on his back, avoinding any rough motion and possibile trauma, as long as I could.
    -I did that twice, just because I noticed how long he stayed upside down, before righting up with a sudden motion.
    But the female turns right almost immediately, when I (for comparison) tried to make the same at her, too. Although both of them perform strong webbing sprouts, she's more active, overall.
    Hence, my worrying about some particular weakness of the male, due to fungus (?) or else; and my idea of putting gently some food in his mouth, if necessary to help him to recover strenght, or perhaps soak with Blue ,methylene.
    But I'm really uncertain about what to do....

Nationality
    [United States]

What you do is ..raise the temperature!,,,,

16. This member thanks Ted for this post:

Ratz

Hello,

60 liter is not much water... I hope they get a larger enclosure after finishing quarantine. You have to take good care about water quality, especially when you feed dead feeders! Maintaining water quality works in the same way as for Aquarium fishes. It is very important to keep N- metabolites like Nitrate and Ammonium and the microbe load on a low level.

How often do you change the water?

Nationality
    [United States]

60l or 15 gal is fine for 1 frog,a20gal for a pair.now I'm a stickler for water quality ,but with frogs that are garbage cans,this can be challenging.ive found even 25% changes a day isn't enough.so I've come up with my double tank system.i use 2 , 15 gal tanks .both have identical heaters,identical aged water.my substrate are washed silk leaves.the frog is in one tank.the other tank has filtered water in it.i bring it up to heat and then add some of the aged leaves.this sits for 5-7 days,until the frog tank is soiled,then I take the frogs substrate, move it to the clean tank,take a pot with original water in it plus frog,and transfer him to the other tank.now I clean and repeat process to the other tank.one week he's in one tank and the other week the second tank.i just keep toggling him between tanks.this works well for me,and works good for frog ..I should also mention that the tanks are only half filled with water ..

Ratz

Hi,

my thought was that with 100 liter or more, some plants, snails against the "garbage" and a decent biological filter, the water quality is much more stable. I made good experiences with Typhlonectes in such a setup.
    But your system sounds also great and is even better for the thread starter as he has some health problems with his animals.

Nationality
    [United States]

My system works good,but it's not a setup to,show off to your friends ,or like a zoo display piece.its just a method for long term life support.to balance the load,and I'm still thinking about this all the time.,I might need a 125 gal with a big canister,but there's the space issue,also ,you have a very inactive frog Ina huge tank.2 tanks on a double iron stand takes up little room.now I might go for the 125 sometime,but I also have a space issue right now myself.besides the fact that "moving water "over these frogs causes stress and disease and they prefer still water,from what little I can look up..you don't need plants and snails...

Ratz

I think there is no need for a zoo display - like setup, even though it would look nice... as long as the needs of the frogs are fulfilled, everything is good. And the space issue is a serous one, I know that well from my 18m2 student room

Just hope the thread starter can save his frogs with adapting his setup, the right temperature and water quality are essential.

Thread Information