Thread: Little bugs....

Alkaline8214

Default Little bugs....

Today I was looking around in my tank for left over crickets and noticed I had some small bugs in the tank. There probably pin head in size. I was wondering if I need to redo the tank or if this is one of those things that everyone gets due to the humidity of a RETF tank. Currently I am using a coco husk soil with a sphagnum moss top.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: Little bugs....

Probably just springtails. Nothing to worry about.

Alkaline8214

Elaborate on springtails please.... lol. Im a frog newbie, newbie on any amphibian really lol.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaline8214 View Post
    Elaborate on springtails please.... lol. Im a frog newbie, newbie on any amphibian really lol.
    Collembola. They are small harmless "bugs" that thrive in warm moist areas and feed primarily on dead leaves or other decaying plant matter. There are many, many, different species but they are a normal part of most tropical setups. They are also commonly cultured by poison frog keepers particularly to feed freshly morphed froglets. The other possibility is some type of leaf or soil mite, which again is harmless.

Jace

Alkaline8214

Thanks for the extra info. I returned to the tank with a flash light trying to get more info to describe the bug to you. The bug seems to be a VERY light color, almost clear. Body is shaped like a mite the body style of almost like a tick. They seem to be running only on the sphagnum moss and only the top of the soil. I checked my frogs and they have nothing on them. Any signs I should watch out for if indeed they MAY be something dangerous to the frogs, other than them being on the frogs?

Thread Information