Thread: Phyllomedusa sauvagii Help?

roobot5000

Default Phyllomedusa sauvagii Help?

I have a Phyllomedusa sauvagii who has been dark in coloration for the past 7-9 days. Her color has ranged from a speckled gray to a dark brown during this time.

Pertinent information:
    She is housed in a 18x18x24 enclosure.
    She has several sources for climbing [i.e. wood, vines, etc.]
    She has two water sources; one located in her "tree" and one on the floor of her cage.
    The substrate is brown paper towels.
    The humidity is 40%
    Basking temp is 92-95
    Ambient temp is 84-86
    I witnessed her eating one cricket on 05/23/10. It is difficult to truly know her intake as she is at times very secretive about her eating. She ranges about 20 crickets per week, in addition to fruit flies.

The only difference is the food I have fed the crickets. I was using Fluker's Cricket Quencher, then switched to Fluker's Orange Cubes.
    Upon giving her a soaking over the weekend I saw in her feces a speck of orange. Is this perhaps from the orange cubes?

Given all of this information has anyone else experienced this drastic change in coloration?

I also understand that gathering this information is by no means the same as a visit to the vet, I just would like to know if I am overreacting. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Phyllomedusa sauvagii Help?

I think Kurt needs to answer this.

Socrates

Have any pictures?

roobot5000

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    I think Kurt needs to answer this.
    I will be on the lookout for his response. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Have any pictures?
    I should have snapped one earlier considering it is night and I cannot get a decent shot of her without flash. However, her color only varies slightly from her "nighttime" coloration, if that is helpful.

Nevertheless, I will post a picture in the morning so any and all who are interested can take a look.

Thank you.

SethD

A change in color shade does not necessarily mean anything is wrong. This is common in many species and while it can be a sign of illness or stress just as often there is nothing wrong at all. As long as there are no other visible problems and it is eating I wouldn't worry about it.

Kurt

It sounds like you are doing everything right. How long have you had her?

I used those orange cubes once and all my crickets died, so now I use actual oranges which are much better.

roobot5000

Here is a picture of her about 3 months ago.

And here are a few of her from this morning:

roobot5000

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    A change in color shade does not necessarily mean anything is wrong. This is common in many species and while it can be a sign of illness or stress just as often there is nothing wrong at all. As long as there are no other visible problems and it is eating I wouldn't worry about it.
    She is the princess of my herp world so I do tend to be an overprotective father. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. How long have you had her?

I used those orange cubes once and all my crickets died, so now I use actual oranges which are much better.
    Hey Kurt, good to know I am not the only one who has had a problem with the cubes. I've had her since December '09 and she has been nice and green up until recently. When I got her she was a little smaller than a quarter, now she is about the size of a half dollar. While she has grown, I can tell that she has lost a minimal amount of weight.

Thanks for commenting on this situation. I hope the pictures are helpful to any/all.

I had something similar happen to my American Green Tree Frog, its periodic still but he always returns to green when on a leaf. heres the link to my post.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...n-disease.html

CrazyAirborne

If there is alot of brown in the enclosure, maybe the frog is just trying to blend in better

Thread Information