Thread: I have gotten a number of private messages about Pipa pipa so I thought i would post quickly.

Jaysommers

Default I have gotten a number of private messages about Pipa pipa so I thought i would post quickly.

There is a lot of misinformation spread by folks who have no experience breeding Pipa pipa. The people who do have real experience are very few and far between. You can find a video on youtube posted by someone who took pics of one of my females releasing babies at an educational expo.His name on youtube is the roach keeper i believe. He used to have my name on the description but i believe he took my name off so he could take credit and pretend he breeds Pipa pipa but he absolutely does not.Sadly this is why I do not let people take pics of my animals and why I don't display any of my collection publicly. Pipa pipa do not need any special ph adjustment. they do not need tannins or blackwater extract or anything else.I exclusively use dechlorinated tap water and nothing else,nothing special or extra is done. I have been breeding them consistently for well over a decade(some forum members here have bought babies from me) in 20 gallon aquariums with only gravel as a substrate and no other decorations in the tank. They do not perform a loop like Pipa parva or carvalhoi etc. This is also confirmed in a lot of observations in the field. I have never gotten Pipa pipa to eat anything but live food. Getting Pipa pipa to spawn is accomplished by a few people internationally every year but almost no one can keep the eggs in the back. There is a trick to success but i will not share it publicly because there are plans to publish an article and i want the public debut to be in it. If someone is very serious and really is wanting to breed them you can pm me. I export all of my babies to Japan. When I have offered baby Pipa pipa no one in the U.S. showed much interest. Even though they were offered at the same price as wild caughts.

I have attached some pictures. one of the pictures is of a different breeding than the other. The pic of 2 females with babies is a different spawn than the others.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jaysommers

Default Here are some pics of Pipa parva breeding.

Pipa parva has a very different method of reproduction than Pipa pipa. They are also a lot smaller that P.pipa. Most Pipa breed like parva. The eggs settle into the females back and are released as free swimming tadpoles. They are filter feeders like Xenopus. if the eggs gome off the back of any Pia they die.If tadpoles of Pipa pipa come out of the females back they will die. Pipa pipa tadpoles will not survive out of the females back.

This was this particular females first clutch. she has about 30 eggs in her back in this pic you just cant see them well because the male is covering them. P.parva will spawn multiple times per year.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I have gotten a number of private messages about Pipa pipa so I thought i would post quickly.

Jaysommers...this is awesome,,you are the man....

Thread Information