Thread: Hello from Ft. Laud, FL!

Abigayle

Smile Hello from Ft. Laud, FL!

Hi everyone my name is Abigayle and I am an aspiring aquarist! I 've had my 20 gal tank with two African clawed frogs, Courage and Ruddy, and their housemaid, Mr. Sucker Fish, for barely a year now and recently moved them to a 60 gal tank. I call them boys, but I'm not sure if they are females or males. I've read about how to sex them, but both have black arms and weird pointy tails at their back end... I've read somewhere that sometimes when you buy them from the pet store they are sick or they are bred poorly and become hermaphrodites! Is this true?
    Aside from that, the new tank is so large! It's very bare now, so I was wondering what I should do... I thought of putting more fish in, but I know that I will run the risk of them being eaten by Fatty #1 and Fatty #2 . Is there absolutely no fish that I can keep with them, safely?
    Here are a few pictures
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  68.2 KBThis is Ruddy. He isn't stuck, I always find him here... I think he likes the color blue.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  92.2 KBOn the left is Ruddy and the on the right is Courage. Now that I have a good picture of Ruddy from the side, I was wondering if this is his natural look... He has always been this plump but have recently seen a bloated frog and now I'm scared that maybe Ruddy is looking a little too plump. When a frog becomes bloated, is it gradual or does it happen overnight?

Id share are more pictures, but I'm using my iPad and for some reason, most of the pictures I post won't come up Never mind, I found them but now I don't know how to delete! The little guppie you see in the picture was meant to be food, but he's a good escape artist. I was told at the pet store that I can feed my frogs literally anything, but I looked it up just to make sure and I read else where that I shouldn't feed them things with an exoskeleton or spinal cords or just hard in general, like mealworms, fish, crickets, etc. Your thoughts?

Anyway, if anyone can get back to me about bloating and if I can/should keep any fish, that would be stellar! Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Hello from Ft. Laud, FL!

Hello from Gainesville, FL!

Frog wise, I'm not familiar with that species so I couldn't answer any thing.. but awesome frogs!!
    [OWN]
    barking tree frog (Hyla gratiosa);
    southern toad (Bufo terrestris);
    Fowler's toad (Anaxyrus fowleri);
    Rose Hair Tarantula (Grammostola rosea)

[RIP]
    Cuban tree frog (Osteopilus septentrionalis);
    yellow-spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum)

Tongue Flicker

Hey abigayle welcome aboard!

Bloating is usually gradual unless it is impacted. Small fish are safe to feed except for goldfish and other cyprinids with a golden/orange color as they contain a higher than normal thiaminase content that is dangerous in the long run for most animals, mealworms have really tough skin even for big amphibians and could cause impaction if fed a lot at one go. You could feed it some superworms with a crushed head as treats as they have lower chitin content than mealies. Silkworms are also nice. Crickets are okay as long as you remove the hind legs. Earthworms and nightcrawlers are the best though. It is soft and hones their hunting skills

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Abbie ! Your frogs look a bit fat to me; feeding them less can help with that. Bloating development can be fast or slow; but normally, it's not a chronic symptom and either resolves or frog dies. Cause of bloating can be dirty water giving raise to pathogens or kidney/lymph heart failure.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information