Thread: good idea too change from terrarium to a plastic tub?

TomasH

Default good idea too change from terrarium to a plastic tub?

I got this new pacman and it has had some trouble eating. The former owner had him in a terrarium with heat lamp and earth substrate and only fed dubias.The frog is only 1.5 inches. I was thinking putting him in a small plastic tub with a foam cloth and leaving some small dubias with him/her. Would this be a good idea until he starts feeding?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

cjbage

Default Re: good idea too change from terrarium to a plastic tub?

Welcome to the forum.
    here is a very good care sheet to start you off with : Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

The baby pac mans do much better in a smaller container about the size of a medium critter keeper or exo terra breeder box. With moistened eco earth, using dechlorinated water until it clumps together but doesn't drip when you pick it up and squeeze it, along with a shallow water dish filled with dechlorinated water, and a small silk plant. You can place that down inside the larger terrarium he came with, cover that terrarium on 3 sides to give the frog a better sense of security. make sure you have good digital therm and hygrometers and it is within the guidelines that is on that care sheet. You can use a small feeding container that has a moist ( again dechlorinated water ) paper towel on the bottom and feed him the roaches in there for a little bit. but you need to watch and make sure he/she doesn't get cold.

Also my understanding is sometimes they won't eat if they become pretty stressed out. I don't know how long you have had the frog but if you just got him today you may want to wait a day or so before trying to feed, he may just be really really stressed right now.

if you have any more questions please ask there are many people here that are really knowledgeable and are happy to help.

4. This member thanks cjbage for this post:

TomasH

thank you! I have him in a 12/12/12 terrarium with a water dish and eco earth. I planted some spider plants next to the sides. 2 sides are covered and there is a cork bark hide. I have a small heat mat attached to the back side - not under the tank and an old plain bulb as a lamp. The temperature where he sits are round 79-80 and I mist 2 times a day. I got this frog (my 3rd pacman) due to he is a trouble feeder says the former owner. Why I woundered about putting him in a small plastic box was that he was probably raised that way and he would have easier to get the dubias without being tong fed. Maybe I should keep him as he is and just wait? I have only had him for some day and he is probably, as you say, still stressed out.

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

cjbage

Default Re: good idea too change from terrarium to a plastic tub?

another thing you can try is a different food source, a good alternative is European or Canadian night crawlers, non-dyed, from a local bait shop, and cut one of those ( from the pointy end furthest from the bump ) into pieces about the same size as the width between his eyes, and wiggle it around or drop it down in front of him. and don't forget to use the calcium/ D3 and multivit dust, there is a schedule for that in the Feeder subforum. more then likely someone will pop in here and post some really good advice soon and hope it will help.

What kind of pac man is it ? there is one and for the life of me I can't remember which but they are problem feeders in captivity..urg.. if it happens to be one of those someone hopefully will be able to help with more advice on getting it to eat.

7. This member thanks cjbage for this post:

TomasH

it's an albino cranwelli!

Skickas från min iPad via Tapatalk

Thread Information