Thread: Bufo Marinus caresheet

Exclamation Bufo Marinus caresheet

I decided to add a little care sheet in here about how to care for cane toads since the only caresheet is just a general toad caresheet. I may not be a 100% accurate but you know. We are not all perfect. So I will post my findings.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Bufo Marinus caresheet

After reading books made by museums, online sites, owners of this toad species. Also from personal experience I decided to put my findings in here. So here it goes:

Cane Toad

Other names:Marine toad, Giant neotropical toad.

Size: Males can attain 5-6 inches on normal conditions, and females can reach up to 9-10inches on normal conditions. There are some cases of males exceeding up to 15inches. Sooo be prepared.

Set up: From personal experience I have found that cane toads THRIVE in man made habitats such as gardens, sometimes you can find them in garages or such. So that said here is what you can do.

For males my personal opinion is a minimum of 40breeder for two males. For females people say that a 40breeder is fine, but 9inches in a 2foot long and 18inches wide seems a tad small to me. So I would recomend going for a 75g. Which in that you could put several other males or females. Substrate: dirt. I prefer to use dirt than coco husk. My toad seemed to hate coco husk because it got all over her. So I switched to soil and she seems happier in it. Try to make t he tank look like a garden. Such as put plants( I would suggest if its live plants keep them in the container so the toad doesnt ruin them), Flower pots turned over. I painted my flower pot black. She seems to like it better. Try covering the back of the tank with a background. You can use brown paper or black or just a fishtank background. But make sure the back and half the sides are covered.

Leave a large water dish. I personally recomend a rubbermaid. Just because the toad can soak in it and it can also swim. Toads tend to stay in the water for about 3-5 hours a day.

I would put lining underneath the rubbermaid so you can easily take it out without making a mess. I use a water conditioner that contains aloe vera. She seems to like it better than a conditioner without it. I would also add a bit of aquarium salt. It contains electrolytes.

Try making visual barriers. Like set logs, large stones around so the toad doesnt feel like its in any danger.

In one end of the tank I would leave a basking lamp, it doesnt hurt and the toads seem to like to bask ocassionally.

Make one end of the tank warmer than the other, because toads cannot controll their body temperature. The warmer end should be at 78 and the cooler side can be anywhere from 70-75. These toads come from warmer regions remember.

You dont need to mist daily. Just make sure you mist the tank every 2-3days. I would specially mist the hidding places. Toads like to hide in damp cool areas.
    Foods: 1-2dozen dusted crickets for a 4inch toad per week, plus 3-4large earthworms. You can also include some wax worms and mealworms too. I would go easy on the mealies and super worms though. Both contain a hard shell made of chitin which is hard for them to consume. Its like bubble gum in your stomach. So feed em mealies and supers every once a few weeks.

A special note:Toads favorite foods are worms, moths and butterflies. ESPECIALLY moths! You put a few moths in, the toad will go nuts over it!

Handling:You can handle the toad ever so often, but try to make sure your hands are squeeky clean. So I would wash your hands for 1-3minutes to make sure you arent wearing any ointments or anything of the sort. Scoop the toad up from underneath. Talk to it and let it know you arent a threat. Warning DO NOT squeeze! And they tend to defecate on you untill they feel safe. Only handle everyonce in a while. You can try daily to get it used to you but after that I would limit the handling.

Make sure you have a full day/ night cycle.

Kurt

I don't have to much time at the moment to read over it, but I will and let you know what I thought of it. You should really submit care sheets to John.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I don't have to much time at the moment to read over it, but I will and let you know what I thought of it. You should really submit care sheets to John.
    This is going to sound stupid.... But uhh Iam on my wii. So things are limited. XDDD Computer broke a while back. But yeah. Only thing Iam not sure of is the tank size. I mean I think its good. Cause juvis only need a 40breeder, but adults need a 75g. They maybe sedentary but its kinda obvious. These amphibians grow up to 9inches. In the wild they would cover alot of miles. SO I think they deserve a big tank. I think males could do alright in a 55g. And females a 75g.

I wish john would look at it.
    I kinda want his opinion on this sheet. Maybe he could make this into a sticky? Would someone please get john to look at this?

Kurt

John is in the process of moving. So you are going to have to be patient. You should include a bibliography with the article.

John is in the process of moving. So you are going to have to be patient. You should include a bibliography with the article.
    Oh sorry. Whats bibiliography? English isnt my first language. Sorry. D:
    Explain to me please?

Kurt

Look at any of the articles (links to the left). At the bottom of any article you will see "references" that will be the bibliography. In your bibliography, you will need to list the sources of your information, i.e., authors, the title of their work you used, the year it was published and so on. In the case of on-line reference you will need to also list the URL. Becareful of what on-line sources you use. If using web sites, you will want to use professional web sites like Amphibiaweb and avoid things like Wikipedia and some amateur web site set up by someone who just got their first frog.

Also you will want to use photos in your article. They can either be your own photos that you have taken or photos you got on-line. In case of the latter, you will need the permission of the owner(s) (and have proof of it) and you must credit him/her/them for that photo(s) used.

Look at any of the articles (links to the left). At the bottom of any article you will see "references" that will be the bibliography. In your bibliography, you will need to list the sources of your information, i.e., authors, the title of their work you used, the year it was published and so on. In the case of on-line reference you will need to also list the URL. Becareful of what on-line sources you use. If using web sites, you will want to use professional web sites like Amphibiaweb and avoid things like Wikipedia and some amateur web site set up by someone who just got their first frog.

Also you will want to use photos in your article. They can either be your own photos that you have taken or photos you got on-line. In case of the latter, you will need the permission of the owner(s) (and have proof of it) and you must credit him/her/them for that photo(s) used.
    I will work on one for both cane toads and american toads. :U I call dibs on both? xD

Thread Information