Thread: Has anyone ever tried mixing species?

RandD

Default Has anyone ever tried mixing species?

I notice that it is generally taboo to mix species on forums, half the time you get, "Never do it," and the other half you get, "You need a big enclosure for it to be possible."

But I am curious have any of you? If so what were the results.

I am thinking of putting some Firebellies in with a Chubby Man. Of course I know different requirements, but it is long and wide enough they could in theory never see each other since my Firebellies spend more time around water and my chubby spends more time wherever his house is.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has anyone ever tried mixing species?

bad bad idea fire bells secrete toxins witch will kill the chubby. if you mix do it only with animals with same requirements and size. ex.green anoles, oriental long tails and Bahaman anoles.

rjm2653

I have 4 FBTs and 3 American GTFs. They have lived together for over a year now. They were in a 20 now a 29. Never had a problem.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2653 View Post
    I have 4 FBTs and 3 American GTFs. They have lived together for over a year now. They were in a 20 now a 29. Never had a problem.

I use to say this same thing. A year is nothing. I kept cuban tree frogs and whites tree frogs together for 3 years. I thought everything was good until my whites started to die off.

Nationality
    [United States]

Not that I have any experience with the other species you mention, but I wouldn't do it either. Like the other poster said, the FBT's secrete toxins and if you have animals with completely different needs, I'd be wary. And wonder if it was really worth it to keep animals with different requirements together and whether it was best for the animals. After a few mishaps with my ACF, I've come to the realization that single species tanks are best. Just my two cents.

rjm2653

At the end of the day its your choice. Some people keep different species and nothing happens, some people do it and it doesn't work out. Up to you.

rjm2653

Some sources say that GTFs are immune to the FTB poison but im still seeing if that's the case. Ill let you know.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2653 View Post
    Some sources say that GTFs are immune to the FTB poison but im still seeing if that's the case. Ill let you know.

If there are particular resources you can recall regarding "being ok to mix ANY particular species" ; would it be possible to post a link here as this is always an important topic. It would be great to read them.

-not specific to FBs ---- however, here is a great string of posts that was picked by Reptile Report and re-printed on-line:

For New Comers To Exotics or Amphibs - Don't Mix Species Topic - Reptile Forums

another:

mixed frogs ? - Reptile Forums

Both sources found here: The Reptile Report

I did a Frog Forum search > "mixing species" there were 291 posts here on this topic.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

RandD

The toxins of course being the biggest issue, but heres the thing.

Different requirements are easy enough to simulate in the same setup. Firebellies and Chubbys aren't that different that you couldn't provide them both with exactly what they need in the same tank given the size. Chubby's aren't the most active and firebellies tend to stick near water (at least for me). My biggest concern is the toxins but I was wondering how they work. In nature there would be constant exposure near the Firebelly home. So I assume theres something that either removes the toxins or neutralizes them. My first assumption would be plants / water. So in a 55 gallon tank designed to be long, well planted, and an artificial rain setup would toxins really be an issue considering the lack of interaction between the two?

And I also recall reading Chubby / Firebellies are compatible but again toxins take years to kill so it is hard to say if someone has had a good run for 2-3 years, but since he hasn't hit 15 years its difficult to say whether toxins have an affect on the over all life of the frog. It would take multiple setups with multiple firebellies / chubbys to see if there was any real result.

This hobby has come a long way in the last few years, compared to the 90s, despite of this we are still living on the information passed down from us by people who didn't fully understand all of the interactions and requirements.

AnimalEnthusiast

I personally wouldn't try mixing FBT's with other animals, because I wouldn't want to take that risk, and then any of the animals be affected badly (or die).

However, I have always wondered about FBT in nature, as I know they can't be the only things living in their natural territory. Does anyone have any information on other animals found safely living in the same area as FBT's (in their natural environment)? In the wild, what properties would make it safe for other animals to physically come into contact with the same environment as a FBT (considering the FBT's toxins)?

Quote Originally Posted by RandD View Post
    The toxins of course being the biggest issue, but heres the thing.

Different requirements are easy enough to simulate in the same setup. Firebellies and Chubbys aren't that different that you couldn't provide them both with exactly what they need in the same tank given the size. Chubby's aren't the most active and firebellies tend to stick near water (at least for me). My biggest concern is the toxins but I was wondering how they work. In nature there would be constant exposure near the Firebelly home. So I assume theres something that either removes the toxins or neutralizes them. My first assumption would be plants / water. So in a 55 gallon tank designed to be long, well planted, and an artificial rain setup would toxins really be an issue considering the lack of interaction between the two?

And I also recall reading Chubby / Firebellies are compatible but again toxins take years to kill so it is hard to say if someone has had a good run for 2-3 years, but since he hasn't hit 15 years its difficult to say whether toxins have an affect on the over all life of the frog. It would take multiple setups with multiple firebellies / chubbys to see if there was any real result.

This hobby has come a long way in the last few years, compared to the 90s, despite of this we are still living on the information passed down from us by people who didn't fully understand all of the interactions and requirements.

Thread Information