Thread: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Allergy: Popular Insect Hosts a Troublesome Mold

findiviglio

Default Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Allergy: Popular Insect Hosts a Troublesome Mold

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches (Grompadorhina portentosa) are extremely popular as pets, classroom animals and reptile food. Recent studies at Ohio State University have revealed a darker side to these otherwise harmless insects…their bodies and wastes are colonized by 14 mold species, several of which can cause allergic reactions and secondary infections. I’ve worked with huge colonies of these and other feeder insects in zoos, and coworkers seem to have developed allergies to crickets, but I have not heard of similar reports concerning roaches. As of now, precautions rather than outright avoidance of Hissing Roaches are being advised. Read the rest of this article here Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Allergy: Mold Issues | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Allergy: Popular Insect Hosts a Troublesome Mold

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the read as always. =)

I think a precursor to this study was done in the Arlian lab at Wright State University; detecting allergenicity of cockroach proteins in their frass and gut cuticle. See 2007 publication by Morgan & Arlian et al... "Allergenicity of the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach." Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology;98:258–261. Interesting that fungi appear to be the culprit! I'll dig into the paper when I have more time.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

findiviglio

Default Re: Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Allergy: Popular Insect Hosts a Troublesome Mold

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    Hi Frank,

Thanks for the read as always. =)

I think a precursor to this study was done in the Arlian lab at Wright State University; detecting allergenicity of cockroach proteins in their frass and gut cuticle. See 2007 publication by Morgan & Arlian et al... "Allergenicity of the Madagascar Hissing Cockroach." Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology;98:258–261. Interesting that fungi appear to be the culprit! I'll dig into the paper when I have more time.
    Thanks for the kind words and info, Jeff,

Best, Frank

Thread Information