Thread: All this work!!! Whew. Happy frogs =)

GreenTree

Talking All this work!!! Whew. Happy frogs =)

Got these guys as babies now HUGE! =) 7 months old all boys (african bullfrog) Female American Bull frog (taking care of for a friend but designed the tank myself). I would appreciate any comments / concerns
    Name:  ABFROG1.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  67.7 KBName:  AFRICANBULLFROG1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  88.5 KBName:  AFRICAN BULL FROG2.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  62.8 KBName:  ABFROG2.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  83.3 KB

DINNA TIME!!! NOM NOM (I breed all 3 species of roaches if anyone needs some shipped.) HISSING / TURKISH / DUBIA
    Name:  TURKISH ROACH.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  62.2 KBName:  HISSINGROACH.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  35.8 KBName:  DUBIAROACH.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  33.5 KB

-GreenTree

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: All this work!!! Whew. Happy frogs =)

Like the first tank; but wonder how you maintain humidity with no top. The other tanks show moss as part of substrate. If you feed frogs in there, the moss is an impaction hazard. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

GreenTree

Morning,

Well for starters I dont need to maintain humidity for an american bull frog. Their natural humidity in the area naturaly is 20-50% here in california with temperatures exceeding up to 95 degrees as of yesterday by our local lakes and ponds. (only 75 in my house though) She also refuses to get out of the water anyway. (shes obese and doesnt carry her weight well outside of the water) Previous owner overfed her. I had to put her on the surface to get the picture. The tank does have a lid though. I just removed it for the photo. As far as the 3 african bull frogs... If you notice there is a FEEDING bowl wtih NO moss in it. SO impaction is a zero risk. They eat of of that (roaches dont lest even 2 seconds if they move in that bowl.) All 4 frogs eat out of my hand as well. Currently the american bull frog eats 1-2 roaches a day and the african bull frogs are up to 8 roaches a day each.

Nationality
    [France]

That is too small for those frogs. In some weeks (Even days), you have to go a bigger bigger tank.
    You will have also to add more substrate so that they can burry completely.
    Those frogs burry several months per year. My female is burried 10 months per year.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

GreenTree

Quote Originally Posted by GRABibus View Post
    That is too small for those frogs. In some weeks (Even days), you have to go a bigger bigger tank.
    You will have also to add more substrate so that they can burry completely.
    Those frogs burry several months per year. My female is burried 10 months per year.
    Not sure if you noticed but photo 2 has (9) more gallons of moss to COMPLETELY burry themselves and they do from time to time go all the way under and make me think they escaped... photo 3 (yes you are correct) had FAR less substrate at that time as well as no heat lamp or heat pad(not enough to burry themselves [transpertation purposes only]).

On a second note on tank size...I just recieved a 3rd 75 gallon long which will be used to house 2 of the africans.... one will remain in the 45 gallon bowfront.

Nationality
    [France]

For a rest period of several months, these frogs require at least 15cm of substrate.
    Even on picture 2, that is not enough for a rest period of several months (Or estivation).
    By the way, coco fiber is more convenient for this purpose.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

GreenTree

Quote Originally Posted by GRABibus View Post
    For a rest period of several months, these frogs require at least 15cm of substrate.
    Even on picture 2, that is not enough for a rest period of several months (Or estivation).
    By the way, coco fiber is more convenient for this purpose.
    I am aware of this seasonal "hybernation like" behavior. I will adjust accordingly in the dry season of our local area. Thanks for your input and I will accomodate.

Has anyone tried actual MUD and dirt? Figured they would like that more verses moss or ecoearth. Some organic soil should be suitable. I would like some inputs on this since they do HYBERNATE in MUD not loose soil in their natural habitat.

Nationality
    [United States]

How is housing three african bullfrog together going? Also how much are you asking for hissing roaches? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

GreenTree

Honestly they like being together for some reason. They cope well with eachother and do well together at feeding times as well. NO FIGHTING. NO territorial issues.
    (Just fed them their first mice last night) That was pretty exciting. They LOVED THE MICE!!

Make me an offer on the hissers. They arnt breeding as fast as Id like... My dubias and Turkish roaches out due the hisser reproducing rate 10 to 1. How many are you looking for? Private me on those.

-GreenTree

Thread Information