Thread: substrate issues

dwarfs

Default substrate issues

Hi I have some eastern dwarf tree frogs and I was told that I should put some substrate into the enclosure. They had plenty of plants and vines and such to climb on but I was told the substrate would keep the humidity up for them. I bought some reptile one cocoa fibre substrate and the frogs seem happy enough, although I am wondering about a few things. The frogs like to jump in their water and soak a fair bit and they get wet and then get the substrate stuck on them. It also goes all over the glass as they climb and smear it everywhere. Also, when they are hunting sometimes they get mouthfulls of the substrate when they grab their food. Will this cause them any harm?? Is there anything better to use as substrate?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: substrate issues

Coco fibre substrate is one of the safest substrates. If swallowed by the frog it can be digested too. With frogs jumping in their water bowl it could mean that they have low humidity. Do you have a digital hygrometer? I didn't find a care sheet for the eastern dwarf tree frog but I think it requires same humidity as an american green tree frog. Is the humidity around 60-70%?
    1.1.0 Hyla cinerea - and another 2 that died
    1.0.0 Ball Python
    0.0.1 Amazon Tree Boa

dwarfs

Default Re: substrate issues

yeah - the humidity is around that (varies a little but sits around there) they get misted twice a day as well. So I am pretty sure they have enough humidity. They only really get onto the substrate at night time when they are hunting, the rest of the time they are sitting up in the cage much higher resting. I am glad to hear it won't hurt them as that was my main concern - I guess it will just be a constant cleaning routine to keep the water full and minus the sediment and spot cleaning of the glass

Default substrate issues

The frogs could be going into their water bowl because, well, they are frogs and want to soak a while add leaf litter to their enclosure so they aren't running around on the coco fiber and it should alleviate some cleanup
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri