Thread: White's Tree Frog Help! Twitching and Stiff Movement!

Shadix

Default White's Tree Frog Help! Twitching and Stiff Movement!

I am new to the forum, but not to my frog. I've had my frog for about 10 years now, and he isn't doing too well. I couldn't keep him at my house cause it was too cold, so i put him in my dad's office which is alot warmer. But because he was not around me, i wasnt able to take care of him, so my dad did, and now he is very stiff. He was doing better, but school got the best of me. Anyways, now he is stiff again, not much movement, and his legs twitch when he does move. And when he moves, his body is alot further in the air. Kinda like a spider walk. What's going on with my frog I don'Name:  DSCN0998.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  98.5 KBt want to lose my buddy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog Help! Twitching and Stiff Movement!

Welcome to FF and sorry your frog is not well . Described symptoms point to a neurological disorder or maybe a CA imbalance. Please answer the below posted questions to help figure out what is the issue. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default White's Tree Frog Help! Twitching and Stiff Movement!

Shadix, please answer the questions above also, but it sounds like your frog has low blood calcium. Has your dad been using calcium with vitamin D3 supplements?

Pick up some Flukers Liquid Calcium supplement. Give him a lukewarm dechlorinated water soak with about 1 drop of calcium per 1 ounce of water and soak for 15 minutes. Then change the water out to dechlorinated water.

Also, start using powdered calcium/vita D3 lightly dusted on his food. Do this daily for the next 3 days, and then if the twitching resolves, move to every other day.

If you have a good frog (herp) vet nearby that knows how to treat frogs they can give him a calcium gluconate injection which will work quickly.

If your frog will not eat, then I'd recommend finding a vet or doing the calcium soaks daily until symptoms resolve.

He will also need other electrolytes. Pick up some unflavored, plain, clear Pedialyte. You can not do both soaks at the same time, they need to be spread out. The calcium replacement is more important at this time. We will teach the proper way to do a Pedialyte dilution soak once the tetany (symptoms of low blood calcium level) resolve.

This can be treated if you do not waste time.

Crossing fingers for you!

~ Heather
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information