Thread: Air plant terrarium, baby Pacman... Maybe?

Naturaltanks13Dst

Default Air plant terrarium, baby Pacman... Maybe?

Hey! Thanks for having me! I'm new to the forum, and I'd like to share my idea! I just threw a little mini vivarium together today, and set it about 18" in. from south facing window that gets mostly morning sun. It's basically an air plant type terrarium with a top, and no light! I grow orchids in almost the same fashion. It's a large fishbowl! My question is will a pac-man frog survive in such an environment. With ambient indoor heat at around 75 degrees. My plans will change as the frog grows, but I thought this might be a good start! Any thoughts? Attached Thumbnails

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

cjbage

Default Re: Air plant terrarium, baby Pacman... Maybe?

here is a good care sheet for these guys,

Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

they need a good amount of substrate and as adults a minimum 10g tank along with some other basic things, a fish bowl will not cut it unless its pretty huge one. as far as having air plants if you get a 10g tank I am sure you can put up some background like coco fiber and attach the plants to it and grow them that way, I am not a plant person as I have the uncanny ability to have every living plant near me die -.- so I stick to the silk ones, so far no fatalities with those.

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Yeah, I agree, that might work for a little bit with a froglet but not once it got bigger.

Maybe some small tree frogs would be a better choice, but you'd have to ask the tree frog guys about that.

But if you buy a simple 10 gallon, I'm sure you could grow all kinds of cool non-toxic plants that would co-exist with a pacman frog.

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by Naturaltanks13Dst View Post
    Hey! Thanks for having me! I'm new to the forum, and I'd like to share my idea! I just threw a little mini vivarium together today, and set it about 18" in. from south facing window that gets mostly morning sun. It's basically an air plant type terrarium with a top, and no light! I grow orchids in almost the same fashion. It's a large fishbowl! My question is will a pac-man frog survive in such an environment. With ambient indoor heat at around 75 degrees. My plans will change as the frog grows, but I thought this might be a good start! Any thoughts? Attached Thumbnails
    Welcome to the frog forum! I'm glad you have come for froggie answers!
    The planted terrarium you have there does not appear suitable for a pacman frog for a variety of reasons.
    First the terrarium--it looks too small and the shape & the thickly-made glass worries me. You want to have at least a 10 gallon terrarium to provide thermal gradient. And honestly 10 gallon is cutting it close. The thick glass may trap heat and that is never a good thing when you heat up the enclosure you may over heat. Once again, just use a regular terrarium.

Im a BIG fan of naturalistic vivarium with live plants in it! But many pacman frog owners choose not to use live plants because 1) most house plants are toxic IF ingested by the frog, 2) pacmans are explosive eaters and MAY ingest the leaves by accident, 3) pacmans burrow all the time and every where, which OFTEN times will uproot your beautifully planted plants, 4) the fertilizers in the soil that came with the plant are not good for the frog's health.

I wish you luck and please continue asking any questions and concerns that you may still have! Welcome to the hobby and frog forum!

Naturaltanks13Dst

I went with a 20 gal. in almost the same fashion. Trying a couple of house plants, but the can easily be removed, if they pose a problem. Thanks for the suggestion!

cjbage

you way want to keep them in pots and plant those in the substrate, you may want to make a post in the plant section to get some more info on planting with these guys, my understanding is they will find a way to uproot, trample and mangle most plants that are in there with them. Good luck to you

plasticfaye

Smile Re: Air plant terrarium, baby Pacman... Maybe?

I like the fishbowl idea, and yeah, it's totally fine for growing out a baby pacman as the title of your post suggests, but it will only last a month or two before the frog gets too big, and he will uproot stuff like others have pointed out. Nicely done, though - very pretty. =)

I would feed him in separate container to avoid accidentally ingesting the tropical plants.
    Last edited by plasticfaye; March 24th, 2014 at 10:04 AM. Reason: grammar

Thread Information