Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cane toad?

Exclamation Cane toad?

I currently have a "cane toad" or so the store said. It was in really bad conditions. The bowl of water was completely dried.

They had em with some skinks. Other tanks some frogs where dead. I felt so sorry for these that I had to take atleast one. I read up now.
    I cant tell if its really a cane toad. I mean it the bottom side is white with large blotches of blackish grey. Its around 3-4inches big at the time being.
    It doesnt like anyone touching it or even comming near the tank to view it. I dont know if this is actually a cane toad.
    I try feeding it, it ate some crickets but mainly went for worms.

Took it to the vet. Said it was fine, just needs alot of water to hydrate. I cant post up pictures because my computer broke and Iam on my wii believe it or not.
    I feel sorry for it, but Iam going to see if I can get alot of crickets this week.
    Also just wanted to say I also have a dumpys treefrog, this little guy is unlike the canetoad, hes FANTASTIC! Doesnt mind being handled on occassions, never jumps off. He takes food by hands sometimes. He is just a mellow little guy. Saw him calling for a female.
    Unlike my female cane toad, he is very people friendly.

I currently have my toad in a 40breeder, with just soil. Iam going to design it to look like a garden, I read up this is what they prefer(well actually read up they live anywhere but can be found mainly in gardens).
    She spends 5-7hours in her water dish. After she leaves she takes a dump and just hops off.
    Idk if Iam way over my head at the time being, especially since I feel at the same time, ready for another addition to my collection/family. I currently have just these two amphibians.
    I was thinking eventually Ill add up something else in another set up. After I make sure my cane toad is doing fine.

but again I really cant tell if its a cane toad or not. It reminds me of a gulf coast toad at the same time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Cane toad?

p.s. I also read that they like to congregate in groups. Is she fine by herself? Or will she need friends? Shes very awefully picky. I was reading on another forum how to make gel food for my turtles, but also read it works also for amphibians. Saw a couple of vids of salamanders and a frog eating some. I was wondering how I can get my toad to go after this type of food? I want to make a species specific diet for her.

I know my tree frog would defenitely eat it. Hes a little piggy. I have him in an exoterra tank.

Kurt

Here is a bunch of cane toads you can compare to your toad for identification. http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...g=Bufo+marinus

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Here is a bunch of cane toads you can compare to your toad for identification. http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...g=Bufo+marinus
    Looks like a few of those. Like a mix of few of those. Has a earth brown or oak wood brown on the top. A streak of red in both eyes. Like on the top. I dont know how to explain it. It looks like a rococo but not exactly. Also it has the black spots that some of these toads have. But its more pronounced. Like its darker than these. I need to measure my toad better. I was hoping one of you can tell me if the garden set up is alright. I was googling it and found a few good sites that showed me. Like toadilytoads.com I kinda like that site. The author(lady) seems sweet about her toads. I was wondering if my toad would get as big as it says they get(9inch). When they say 9inches do they mean legs extended as well?

Anywho... Shes a fuzzy eater. only eats earthworms, crickets, mealies, and waxies. Does anyone know how I can correct that behaviour? And how I can make her feel more at home. She doesnt hide when no ones around or doesnt notice you. But shes fearful of humans. Anything that can help her coax into not being afraid and showing her face everyonce in a while?

I dont expect her to let herself be handled like my treefrog. But I atleast expect her not to be sooo, afraid! Also, Iam putting these plants in the tank within a month or two:
    -Tulips
    -ferns
    -Daffodils
    -Violets?

I dont know if these are known to be toxic. Or just plain bad plants to even keep. Iam planning on making sure he cant dig em up. I wanna put a linen barrier. I was thinking of making her a man made garden. I wanna make a fake can and put it in or use a real can. Just for like a hidding place.

I liked that "Reptile den" that is this really huge and heavy rock. But Iam afraid that it might break my tank. Any substitutes to this? One thats lighter.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I was wondering if my toad would get as big as it says they get(9inch). When they say 9inches do they mean legs extended as well?
    That's 225 mm snout to vent. Legs not included.

Shes a fussy eater. only eats earthworms, crickets, mealies, and waxies. Does anyone know how I can correct that behaviour?
    I see nothing wrong with this diet,

And how I can make her feel more at home. She doesnt hide when no ones around or doesnt notice you. But shes fearful of humans. Anything that can help her coax into not being afraid and showing her face everyonce in a while?
    Give it time.

That's 225 mm snout to vent. Legs not included.

I see nothing wrong with this diet,

Give it time.
    How big is the 225mm in inches? xD Sorry Iam a little slow sometimes. Also the cane toad, my brother wants her. :U I like my brother and hes good with animals. Should I give it to him?(Kinda was giving in due to he kept pleading me :U) But uhh. Is this bad for the amphibian? I was thinking after I head off from college Id get her back. So hed just get an experience on her. What do you guys think I should do? I mean my bro, lives in the same house. But is it a good idea? :U

P.s. if it isnt a good idea. I was opting to maybe get him started with a pair of american toads. Since I had em once(catch and release) and they're fairly simple.
    I wanted to get him a pair of captive bred ones though. Cause I wanna make sure they arent carrying anything on them if you get my point. Iam also kinda against now of taking animals straight from the wild(kinda grew up a bit from last year). Sooooo. What do you think? Is an american toad a good opt for a 15 year old guy? Hes very persistant like myself, he loves amphibians but hes mainly interested in the true bufo family. Such as myself. Kinda like a brotherly thing. Although he does like treefrogs. I thought a toad would be easier on him. Does anyone know a good breeder or online store that sells high quality, captive bred american toads or other toads?
    (yuh Iam a bit selfish when it comes to my pets. Hahaha, I just wanna make sure she isnt too much for him.)
    I just want him to have something that he can occassionally look at and if the toad allows it even pick up. I had good experiences with most of the americans. Only ones that never seemed to like humans were females. Ived been noticing a pattern. Female toads=hate humans?

Btw: hes not the kind of kid to bother the animal if the animal does not want to be held. I mean I used to have a pair of small american toads that used to like being hand fed and didnt mind sitting on my lap for a few mins. While my cane toad you cant even get her to look at you. xD

I forgot to thank you kurt. You have been very helpful since my last visit. :] The forums seem dead though. Why is that? D: This place isnt going to shut down right?

Kurt

Dead? Actually it quite a live and I am having trouble at times keeping up with it all. Two days ago when I signed on it said I had 146 unread posts. For the most part the numbers have been real high these past two or three weeks.

225 mm = 8.858267716545 inches.

Marine or cane toad care is the same as American toad care for the most part. See the Toad Basic Care for details.

And you're welcome glad to be of assitance.

Dead? Actually it quite a live and I am having trouble at times keeping up with it all. Two days ago when I signed on it said I had 146 unread posts. For the most part the numbers have been real high these past two or three weeks.

225 mm = 8.858267716545 inches.

Marine or cane toad care is the same as American toad care for the most part. See the Toad Basic Care for details.

And you're welcome glad to be of assitance.
    I have a spare exo terra terrarium its about 17wide x 17long and 17 tall. Would this be good for a pair of american toads? Or for a pair of small toads? Also do you know a good reputable online breeder? Like a site? We rather pay from legit sites. You know? Keep records and stuff. Also. What we are looking for generally in the toad is to be:
    1)To look like a regular small brown toad. You know? No odd colors that would be like red, green blue or whatever some toads can have.
    2)Somewhat active, even if it isnt active all the time. My definition of toad activity would be:explores every once in a while, highly curious about things, hungry appetite, diurnal or nocturnal is fine. As long as I get to see it.
    3)Has a nice call to it like the american toad. I absolutely love the american toad call.
    4)Easy. Not a picky eater.
    5)Isnt hiding ALL the time. Friend has a green toad, its ALWAYS hiding. He also has a chubby frog same thing.
    Idk just acts, sounds and looks like a normal toad. Plump as a melon.

I like the american toad, fowlers and woodhouse toads. I like the colors on them. Iam hoping to get the toads as young. Like min size I want is 2inches. Because I have trouble with a 1inch toad. Id have to feed it fruit flies and thatd be a mess. I want it young. Lasts a long time, you know atleast 10 years or more.

Kurt

Those are nice toads, but as far as I know, no one breeds them. Sorry. What kind of green toad are we talking about? Eurasian or western?

Those are nice toads, but as far as I know, no one breeds them. Sorry. What kind of green toad are we talking about? Eurasian or western?
    Euro. Umm I saw some online sites that says they sell them. Is it bad if I took some from the wild?

Kurt

If you are only taking a few its no big deal. In Massachusetts we are only allowed to take two from the wild.

P.s. they used to be easy to find.... Now they are HARD Ived looked everywhere... Alll I find is bullfrogs and turtles. . . I tried too look after a rainy day at my friends house. Once I found juvenile toads which is whatI was hoping to accomplish. I think I may just buy it. Btw. have you heard of the "southern toad"? I heard these are extremely shy. I seen them for sale. Can you coraborate?

If you are only taking a few its no big deal. In Massachusetts we are only allowed to take two from the wild.
    "cough" Send me a nicely tempered sex pair? xD Cause I cant find any where I live. I want them to be young. Like 2inches. So I can atleast know for sure they are around 1-2 years old at most and can live with me for 8-12more years. xD

I just wanna get them "disease free". Do I have to take them to the vet if I get em wild caught? Also. In a canadian forum I read that you can use soil, leaves, and stuff from the woods. That it wont harm the frogs. That the bugs in it will help keep the tank clean. Also I learnt that earthworms eat poop. So if you put an earthworm in your frog/toad tank. It should extend the time you have to clean it. :P My friend from the forum said she just tops the top soil off every year and puts in new bugs. Also to add in springtails. Id like to add a small pile of leaves to make it natural. I kinda wanted to add a few live plants. Any suggestions?

BTW for any exo terra keeper! Important! Take the crappy foam background off!! Foam is bad for frogs! and crickets hide in it and are pain. xD

P.s. My screen top is starting to get bits of rust on it. How do I get rid of the rust? And could is there a paint or something to prevent it from rusting t hat wont h arm the animals? Any suggestions?

Kurt

It is a real good idea to take any wild caught animals you plan on keeping to the vet for a deworming.

Don't know how to stop rust. Sorry.

Using local soil and leaf litter is fine for keeping local frogs. Just make it is collected from somewhere that is pesticide/fertilizer/herbicide free.

It is a real good idea to take any wild caught animals you plan on keeping to the vet for a deworming.

Don't know how to stop rust. Sorry.

Using local soil and leaf litter is fine for keeping local frogs. Just make it is collected from somewhere that is pesticide/fertilizer/herbicide free.
    I can't find any toads anymore. I live in nj. :/ Like I look and I look and I look. I tried looking behind the elementary schools woods(kinda private property so I had to make it quick xD). I tried looking in my backyard. I tried the lake. I tried the woodlands near a park I know. And like I can sometimes hear them at night but I cant find them. I tried it with a flashlight. But my neighborhood is kinda. Well it has "nosey" neighbors. I cant be out on my bike at a certain hour or the freaking neighbors call the cops. They did it once I had to hide in my own bushes. Like even if you dont make noise you cant even be in your backyard at night. ITs crazy I know.

SO where would you suggest I could find them? I used to be able to find a ton in that elementary school. And the fishing hole after a really bad storm. But then they just dissapeared the following year.

I kinda wanted a lightly tanned one and a darker colored one. YOu know? A matching pair? Maybe ill go for both males. Males tend to be friendlier.

But in general how much can I expect a deworming to cost? So I can maybe save up money for that first. I was thinking I could just buy steryle soil from the hardware store and then buy the insects online which would be easier cause then I dont have to worry about parasites.

Also, people in other forums where getting very mad about the thought of even trying to catch an american toad. So why are you guys not? Is it just like that american toads dont mind being in captivity that much? Id like to just get them as tadpoles and then grow them myself, then I wouldnt have to worry about worms and such. But last time I did that out of 35tadpoles only 5-10 made it to the toadlet stage and then I was left with 3-4 if I remember and they died cause I couldnt find fruit flies for sale.

I was hoping to keep the tank heat up to 75 throughout the year. Like the top part would be 75 and the bottom part would be 73. I think I wanna use a basking light. Like what I have is a steel hood thats made for terrariums. It has for one strip light and two bulbs. I was thinking I could find one night light. Or maybe I could get a dimmer light and leave it on the night so we can watch it.

I dont know if Ill keep the terrarium thats 18x18x18 or just get a bigger terrarium that would be 24x18x18 you know the dessert ones? Cause then it has enough space for two to be extremely comfy and have a roaming area. What do you guys think? Like IAm getting confused. At first I wanted to make it like a garden but the tank isnt long enough to hold many plants in. I like orchids but I cant put that in. I wanted to stick to daffodils, tulips. And small shrub like plant of a sort. I wanted to use a small flower pot as a hiding place, maybe decor it a little more. I have a ceramic turtle figurine my mom gave me. I get a feeling it would look nice in the terrarium. Btw. Its a solid color figurine. So I doubt the frogs would get afraid of it. It looks like a stone. So yuh. If I offered some climbing area by using small pieces of egg crates would they use it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information