Thread: Could this Red Eye be pregnant? Or just full?

abacabb

Default Could this Red Eye be pregnant? Or just full?

I was thinking maybe this frog has been eating a lot since it's so fat. But now I'm starting to suspect it might be full of eggs? Or maybe a tumor? Maybe it's nothing and I'm being a nutcase.

Any ideas?

I doubt it would be pregnant since I never simulated the rainy season and I doubt it would have mated at the pet store since their conditions were nowhere near optimum.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

missclick

Default Re: Could this Red Eye be pregnant? Or just full?

It is probably just puffing up its belly. which is normal my White's does the same thing when it sleeps.

Paul Rust

Looks like a healthy happy frog to me

Kurt

The swelling looks to be a little asymmetric to me, it may be a localized edema. Keep an eye on it and if it swells any more over the next few days consult a vet.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The swelling looks to be a little asymmetric to me.
    It kinda does. I thought maybe the angle or the way it might be laying. Should keep an eye on it though.

Andry

Hmmm, one of mine looks this way today as well. Since this morning I noticed it. Mine is more symmetrical but she also is sleeping straight up and down. I was wondering if she was full of eggs as well. That would be kind of cool!

I've seen this same one swell up due to drinking and eating but this looks different to where they can't keep their legs close to their body. Hope yours and mine are ok.

abacabb

Well if she does have eggs, it's unintentional. I did not setup a breeding environment. If she does have eggs but cannot find a place to lay them, what will happen? Will she just lay them anywhere? Do they stay stuck inside her?

Kurt

You need to simulate rain for eggs to develop. Also if it were eggs the frog would still be symmetical. This could be a localized edema more than likely. Monitor it and if it doesn't go away in a few days, see a vet. I lost an adult to a localized edema over a year ago. I have a froglet that develpoed an edema but has since gone away.

abacabb

If it were edema, would the frog still seem "happy"? It eats and explores like business as usual.

Also, if it is edema, is it treatable without seeing a vet? Finding a vet here that actually knows about amphibians and not just thinks he does is pretty tough and expensive.

Kurt

I understand that. I am not 100% convinced its an edema. Like I said, monitor it and if it get bigger or just doesn't go away it might be an edema. I am betting its not an edema, but time will tell.

Skulldroog

Looks like a healthy frog to me.

abacabb

Lets just pretend for a second that the frog does have edema. Is it possible to treat it without going to the vet?

I'm just trying to familiarize myself with as many frog illnesses as I can :-\

abacabb

I noticed this frog throw up a cricket before. But today I found a cricket that was obviously thrown up by a frog. I looked at it closely and noticed a bunch of tiny worms chowing down on it. I am assuming these are frog parasites? I can't imagine them being maggots as there are no flies in the vivarium and its always closed.

any ideas?

I should have taken a picture of it. Unfortunately I already tossed it in the trash.

Kurt

Time to call the vet!

abacabb

Unfortunately that is not an option for me.

Kurt

Vomitting can be a sign of parasites. Also, I did have a red-eye that had a localized edema on one side, a fecal sample from this frog proved to be loaded with parasites. So it was treated for them and given antibiotics. It started to get better but eventually died anyway.

There should be a ****load of exotics vets in Miami. After all just about all reptiles and amphibians that come into the counrty come in through Miami.

abacabb

The documentation I read online suggests that worms don't really go away. Instead they are things that you maintain. For instance, one man stated he treats his frogs 3 days out of the month just to keep the worms "under control".

Am I understanding this correctly? It seems to make sense because I would think the insects they eat probably come loaded with parasites anyway.

Kurt

The worms/protozoa are killed by the appropriate medication, however if the enclosure is not totally cleaned and sterilized within three days of treatment the frog can be re infected. As you pointed out if the frog is fed food items that are carrying parasites the frog can be re infected, so it would have to be retreated.

I think what you have read is really in the regards to parasite management and not the curing of. If a frog is kept in ideal conditions, parasite loads can be managed and not become a problem. However, most keepers do not maintain ideal conditions, so parasites can then overwhelm a frog, potentially killing it. So that is why I recommend treating for parasites, then three days late sterilizing the cage. It is also a good idea to have the frog rechecked periodically.

In a case of a frog throwing up, along with a localized edema, the frog must see a vet. No two ways around it.

Thread Information