Thread: New PACMAN owner - few questions

LJ

Default New PACMAN owner - few questions

Hey guys! I just got a Pacman frog. I'm pretty excited about watching him get big and grow. Hes only about the size of a quarter right now. I have him a 10g tank. I've put some moss in there with him and some other live plants to keep the humidity up. Right now its sitting at about 70%. Temperature wise I'm at 80 steadily. I can't seem to get the temperature to go down with the night lamp without turning off the light completely, in which case it goes down to the 60's.

A few dumb newbie questions..

I'm cutting up night crawlers for him right now. They are about the size of his mouth. But, he doesn't seem very interested (I even put them right in front of his mouth!). I haven't even had him for 24 hours yet. Could it be that hes still a bit stressed from the move? If he doesn't eat by tomorrow night should I consider feeding him crickets or something? Will he go after them? I feel like hes so inactive (i know they're inactive frogs) that a cricket may be too much for him to get his hands on. Their eyes seem very exposed too. Anything to look out for there?

Any tips for a newbie?

Thanks guys!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

plasticfaye

Default Re: New PACMAN owner - few questions

Welcome to FF, LJ. =)

I've had my pacmans for a little less than a month and they do not recognize the crawlers as food right away. I had to wiggle and tease the front of each frog's mouth holding crawler bits in tongs until they had a go. My C. cranwelli took to it well, but is still learning tongs = food. My fantasy takes more persistence. I picked up this tactic after watching some YouTube how-to's from Ivory Reptiles. =)

These frogs generally have a good appetite, but if he's not eating after you've teased him for two minutes, I'd leave him to settle in or wait for a bowel movement. Someone more experienced can give better advice on whether he's too stressed to eat and how long to wait.

LJ

Thanks for your reply!

I'm currently debating on which direction to go with heating. I'm buying a new wattage for my bulbs today and considering a UTH heater to place on the side of tank. If I were to have a backdrop for him, should I place it over top the back drop or underneath in direct contact with the glass (curious if its a fire hazard). I understand it should go on the side since Pacmans love to burrow. Anywho any tips on a good place to get some moss for him? Thanks!!

plasticfaye

I wouldn't put an UTH over a background, like you said, no direct contact, so it won't provide heat. I'm also leery about a fire hazard.

Instead, I have my UTH on the side instead of the back, so you really don't notice it. It works best when you pile up the substrate against it, otherwise it doesn't really do anything for ambient temperature, but because pacs burrow, they'll use that spot when they want to.

What kind of moss are you looking for? Like to grow in a vivarium or just something for decor? I am a big online shopper and have some live moss and lichen for a viv from ebay, very cheep. I would get a pet-specific brand from PetSmart, Amazon, or LLLReptile.com if you just want decor, and not from Wal-Mart or a craft store (dyes).
    Last edited by plasticfaye; March 21st, 2014 at 11:20 AM. Reason: grammar

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfaye View Post
    I wouldn't put an UTH over a background, like you said, no direct contact, so it won't provide heat. I'm also leery about a fire hazard.

Instead, I have my UTH on the side instead of the back, so you really don't notice it. It works best when you pile up the substrate against it, otherwise it doesn't really do anything for ambient temperature, but because pacs burrow, they'll use that spot when they want to.

What kind of moss are you looking for? Like to grow in a vivarium or just something for decor? I am a big online shopper and have some live moss and lichen for a viv from ebay, very cheep. I would get a pet-specific brand from PetSmart, Amazon, or LLLReptile.com if you just want decor, and not from Wal-Mart or a craft store (dyes).
    Well, I was reading moss can do a lot for humidity. Since I'm a rookie, I'm looking for all the little tricks I can get to make it as comfortable for him as possible. One mistake I made, that I wish I wouldn't have is I purchased my frog on a whim. I was piranha keeper for a long time and made the same mistake. But, they made it through and actually grew to thrive, but it made the first week a bit stressful on me and I'm sure the fish. Well, apparently I didn't learn my lesson since here I am..

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfaye View Post
    I had to wiggle and tease the front of each frog's mouth holding crawler bits in tongs until they had a go. My C. cranwelli took to it well, but is still learning tongs = food. My fantasy takes more persistence. I picked up this tactic after watching some YouTube how-to's from Ivory Reptiles. =)
    Same here. My cranwelli is a really picky eater because he was raised on only crickets, likely with no vitamins or calcium on them, at PetSmart. He had never eaten from tongs and he's still learning. He also seems to dislike the vitamin or calcium d3 dust, not sure which. So he puts up a struggle. One of his tactics is spinning in place like a tank turret. He will spin all the way around away from the food or tongs. My arm was getting tired easily trying to keep up with him so I had to change tactics. Now I put him in a tiny tupperware container and when he spins I just turn the whole container so he's back facing the tongs. It takes 'persistance and perserverance' as the Ivory's say. I highly reccommend that you watch their instructional videos on YouTube, they're very clear videos with clear audio, and the Ivory's know their stuff.

Now I've got the little guy tong feeding regularly, but also give him crickets too in between worms.

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Quote Originally Posted by LJ View Post
    One mistake I made, that I wish I wouldn't have is I purchased my frog on a whim.
    I did the same damn thing.. It's too late for us to take it back now, so all we can do is give the frog the best care possible to make up for it. And not let ourselves do it again. Don't feel too bad though, we all make mistakes bud.

Anyway you're here learning to give your new frog good care, so the frog is gonna have a good life and you'll have a cool pet for years.

9. This member thanks WorldClassFrogCoddler for this post:

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by WorldClassFrogCoddler View Post
    I did the same damn thing.. It's too late for us to take it back now, so all we can do is give the frog the best care possible to make up for it. And not let ourselves do it again. Don't feel too bad though, we all make mistakes bud.

Anyway you're here learning to give your new frog good care, so the frog is gonna have a good life and you'll have a cool pet for years.
    Yup, doing the best I can. Live and learn. Thanks much.

cjbage

My understanding about moss is you have to be very careful with it as it is an impaction risk for these guys.. they are not the most coordinated, delicate eaters. As far as temperature goes, mine was all over the place when I was using a lamp, so I took advice from more knowledgeable people and bought a Ceramic Heating Emitter and a Fluker's clamp lamp ( double check for wattage limits ) and hooked it up on a Zoo med hygrotherm controller.. now my heat is steady both during the day and has a nighttime drop that is steady as well. That controller also is helping with my humidity issues.

I am going to be starting to try and tong feed him again soon now that I have the most important issues sorted out so I can get him eating something better for him then crickets.

plasticfaye

Quote Originally Posted by LJ View Post
    Well, I was reading moss can do a lot for humidity.
    Oh, right. Sorry, you said that in your original post and I skimmed over it. Yes, live plants and moss help stabilize ambient humidity, but pacs are not as sensitive as other amphibians and a decent depth of EcoEarth will be plenty sufficient to provide him with a humid retreat. The top layer will dry out daily and need re-wetting, but below 1.5 - 2 inches, it will retain a LOT of moisture. A glass or Plexiglas top (or half-top) will help too. You can sheets of either cut to size at Lowes and Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldClassFrogCoddler View Post
    One of his tactics is spinning in place like a tank turret. He will spin all the way around away from the food or tongs. My arm was getting tired easily trying to keep up with him so I had to change tactics.
    Lol, yup. I've seen mine try the same.

13. This member thanks plasticfaye for this post:

LJ

I also went and bought a 10g tank thinking I was doing the Pacman a favor. But, it seems like these guys prefer their living space to be smaller when they're babies (mine is about the size of a quarter). Thoughts on that?

Do you guys think putting him in a smaller enclosure with a UTH pad on the side with a water dish and a tad of cover would be better for him for a few months?

cjbage

I have mine inside a medium size critter keeper put inside of the 10gal I have, and 3 sides of the large tank are covered, seems to help cut down on stress and makes it easier to feed the if you do so inside their enclosure, the keeper will make a good isolation tank or holder while I clean out the large tank when the time comes so not a waste. I use a CHE on a clamp lamp that at the moment sits on the 10gallons screen cover and hidden led lights on the inside for day/night lights w/o added heat and my jerry-rigged fogger tube fits through the corner opening on the screen cover.. anyway that works for me. He has a shallow soaking dish and a fake silk plant and seems happy.

16. This member thanks cjbage for this post:

LJ

Hey just wanted to give you guys an update since you were so helpful today!

I got off of work and went to my pet store and picked up a few things. One was a smaller enclosure, UTH pad (mounted on the side), ceramic heating bulb, some frog moss, a few more things for him to hide under, crickets and some feeding tongs. Good news and bad news though..

I'll start with the bad news. I couldn't regulate my small enclosure I purchased to make me comfortable enough with placing him in there. Hes already had a pretty big couple of hours so I left him in his original 10g enclosure.

Good News. I manage to feed him 4 crickets with the tongs and he seemed rather lively then.

I'm still experimenting with the temperature systems to get the ideal settings. I think I'm going to purchase a higher wattage tomorrow since it seems to hover around a good night time temperature in there right now with the 50w. I'm thinking of labeling the two switches and turning the higher wattage on during the day and the lower at night to regulate the temperatures that are ideal for them during those periods.

Again, thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to post some pictures soon enough..

cjbage

For heating I only use the Ceramic heat bulb and it is on a Zoo med Hygrotherm controller, that controller is a bit on the expensive side, but it is so very worth it, keeps the temps well within range and if you ever go with an automatic fogger for humidity whether by a purchased brand or a jerry-rigged one like some of us has done it can keep the humidity within range. I had so so many issues with temp before getting that one device it was so unbelievable, now I just check it as I go past and it is always right on.

What I have done is have him inside the small enclosure then put that inside the large tank, you still regulate it for the large tank that way.

LJ

Quote Originally Posted by cjbage View Post
    For heating I only use the Ceramic heat bulb and it is on a Zoo med Hygrotherm controller, that controller is a bit on the expensive side, but it is so very worth it, keeps the temps well within range and if you ever go with an automatic fogger for humidity whether by a purchased brand or a jerry-rigged one like some of us has done it can keep the humidity within range. I had so so many issues with temp before getting that one device it was so unbelievable, now I just check it as I go past and it is always right on.

What I have done is have him inside the small enclosure then put that inside the large tank, you still regulate it for the large tank that way.
    Yeah, I remembering you saying that. Thats a pretty good idea..

None the less, its a good sign that hes eating at least right? Or am I overly excited about that? I just assumed since he was eating hes not in bad of shape.

cjbage

yeah its good that he is eating.. tbh I was excited the first time he pooped for me lol.. I was so worried it was over a week that I had him before he did it, I even posted questions about him not going lol then all of a sudden one morning there was this giant thing in his tank.. as big as he is and I was like O.O whoa that came out of that little guy lol

Oh and don't forget the calcium and vitamin dusting.. here is a schedule that I use http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html thats really important

seks

Quote Originally Posted by cjbage View Post
    For heating I only use the Ceramic heat bulb and it is on a Zoo med Hygrotherm controller,
    Wouldn't the constant ON/OFF action significantly decreases the life of the ceramic heat bulb?

cjbage

Quote Originally Posted by seks View Post
    Wouldn't the constant ON/OFF action significantly decreases the life of the ceramic heat bulb?
    "bulb" isn't exactly the right word and I shouldn't have used it, its one of these
    http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiC...eating+element only in a 60w since my lamp is rated only for 75w max

"ReptiCare® Ceramic Heat Emitters are the perfect 24 hour heat source for all reptiles. These porcelain heating devices screw into a standard porcelain incandescent socket, giving off intense muscle-penetrating" infrared heat while emitting no light. The flat-faced design is more efficient and longer lasting than conical designs which build up excess heat internally ultimately carbonizing the element."

LJ

Yup. I just purchased the hygrotherm controller with the repti fogger and some ceramic heat emitters... made my life 10000x easier.

I'm having trouble getting him to eat for the tongs now. He might of just did it the first time because the place where I purchased him had him nearly starving. I'm feeding him a few crickets each day, maybe 1 or 2. But I just drop them in the enclosure with him and when they get too close he goes after them.

Thread Information