Thread: ADF lump on belly?

RadioactiveKatie

Question ADF lump on belly?

I've had my ADF for over a year and I just noticed that it has a odd lump/bulge on it's belly (kinda near the front left side?) I have no idea what could have caused this swelling because I haven't changed anything.... What could be happening?
    Name:  DSCN0088.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  49.5 KBName:  DSCN0089.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  48.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: ADF lump on belly?

Hi,

thatīs just the amphibian equivalent of a ribcage sticking out because of the body posture the frog assumes in the pics. If it is otherwise healthy, you probably donīt need to worry. Can you see the bump when the frog is relaxed or was it just visible while the frog was in this posture?
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

RadioactiveKatie

Quote Originally Posted by Felis View Post
    Hi,

thatīs just the amphibian equivalent of a ribcage sticking out because of the body posture the frog assumes in the pics. If it is otherwise healthy, you probably donīt need to worry. Can you see the bump when the frog is relaxed or was it just visible while the frog was in this posture?
    Now that I look at her again (She moved and is in a more relaxed position) I don't see it anymore. I suspect it was the rib I was seeing like you said. Thanks so much for your response because I was worried! ):
    Also, I used to have another adf with this one but it unfortunately passed away.. I was thinking of maybe getting another small fish to keep in the tank since she seems really bored.... Do you know which type of fish are safe to keep with adf's?

Hi!

Honestly, I donīt recommend to keep frogs with fish. Frogs donīt really get "bored" and for them, there surely is no benefit from being kept with fish (most likely you would have to foreceps-feed your frog to prevent it from starving as literally all fish are much faster eaters. Also, most colour- and peaceful small fish are best kept in reasonably sized schools, so you would have to provide a relatively large tank). ACFs are, however, social animals. While your frog wonīt really suffer from being kept alone, it will most likely enjoy the company of one or more conspecifics if your tank is big enough (i.e. 5 gal at least) and if you can match the environmental requirements of Hymenochirus. Sorry about your loss, but another frog would be a much better choice. Depending on the size of your tank, you could also get some shrimps (e.g. red fires) to add some colour.
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

Thread Information