Thread: Guam Brown Tree Snake Eradication: Bad News for People & Wildlife

findiviglio

Default Guam Brown Tree Snake Eradication: Bad News for People & Wildlife

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
    As a Bronx Zoo animal-keeper in the early 1980’s, I became involved in a breeding program for Guam Rails and Micronesian Kingfishers. Both birds were facing extinction due to a most unusual threat – the introduced Brown Tree Snake, Boiga irregularis. Back then, major problems caused by trans-located snakes were unknown. Although Burmese Pythons had been established in Florida since the early 70’s, these now-famous invaders had not yet grabbed the public’s attention. A zoologist friend journeyed to Guam to investigate, and he was soon regaling me with fantastic stories. In keeping with its species name, this snake was most “irregular” – biting at the moving eyelids of sleeping children, stealing burgers from grills, and often being found in bird cages – too engorged to slip back out after having swallowed the family pet! Today, the rail and kingfisher are gone from Guam, and other birds, lizards and bats have become extinct. Yet the Brown Tree Snake has not, as was predicted, eaten itself into oblivion. Huge populations – to 13,000 snakes per square mile – are sustained by other prolific invaders, one of which is the Green Anole! Read the rest of this article here Guam Brown Tree Snake Eradication Program | That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Guam Brown Tree Snake Eradication: Bad News for People & Wildlife

Invasive or introduced species can be a real problem to any environment. The Guam Brown Tree Snake is one of the worse cases. Thanks for share Frank !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

findiviglio

Default Re: Guam Brown Tree Snake Eradication: Bad News for People & Wildlife

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Invasive or introduced species can be a real problem to any environment. The Guam Brown Tree Snake is one of the worse cases. Thanks for share Frank !
    Thanks, Carlos...and I like your quote "Take care of..." old timer who taught me much had terrariums set up and running for 30 years w/o major cleaning etx; I strive for same when possible at home and in zoo; aquariums also.

Thread Information