Thread: Would it be alright for a bath w/o honey

MikeIsGreen

Default Would it be alright for a bath w/o honey

Hey guys and gals! I was going to change out lil bruisers substrate this evening and I thought I would give him his 1st soak/bath. I don't have any honey or a chance to get any today. Can I just give him a 78 degree soak w/o honey? I haven't seen any surface poop, so there might be some buried. To my knowledge he hasn't gone in a few weeks. I'm having trouble getting to eat his crickets. I'm not a cricket expert, but the crickets I have now look different than ones in the past and they are a lot faster. Should I remove their hind legs? Thanks everyone

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Would it be alright for a bath w/o honey

Yes, use a bath of about 80'F warm dechlorinated water. And yes, pulling off the back leg or legs can help.

Cool name! My fantasy is also named Bruiser .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

WorldClassFrogCoddler

Default Re: Would it be alright for a bath w/o honey

I don't pull the legs off my crickets, I just move my frog to a small tupperware container and put the crickets in with them. They have no room to wander away from the frog, so he is free to eat them whenever he wants. I usually put him in a dark closet with them at night. I come back in 30 minutes and he has eaten all of them usually.

But, if your frog is impacted, maybe you shouldn't feed him any more until it passes. Maybe that's why his feeding response is lowered. You should get honey as soon as you can, but until then, warm baths with dechlorinated water, preferably treated tap water, should help him feel better.

My frog hates being bathed but again, small tupperware container with air holes in the top. He can't get away even though he hates it. He still gets a good soak.

5. This member thanks WorldClassFrogCoddler for this post:

MikeIsGreen

Thank you, Heather! I did just that and he didn't poop, but at the same time he doesn't appear to have a bulge on his right side either. That's awesome that you have a bruiser as well! ����

MikeIsGreen

WCFC, thank you also! I havent removed any their legs yet. He currently has 5 crickets in with him now...if I see that those are gone then I'll add more. I sure hope he is alright. Everything is good with temp and humidity, so we will see. I'll will get some honey asap as well and see how that goes. This species of crickets just seems undesirable to him. But is that possible? Kinda confused lol...thanks everyone!

MikeIsGreen

Quick question about feeder crickets. How many different species are there? The crickets i get at petsmart are always easy for lil bruiser to catch, but I've got some now from a pet store and they are super fast and they jump like crazy. The others from petsmart were more calm than these freaks lol...what should I do?

cjbage

I noticed that as well, a huge activity difference between the slow moving crickets from petsmart and the more healthy active ones I got from Carolina Crickets, with me I put a few less in there it took mine a while to time his lunges better but now.. he roars out of his little hole when I drop those faster ones out grabbing them as fast as they move in front of him and I add one or two more at a time when he gets those done, when he slows down I let him alone, the 1-2 left in there are usually gone by the morning now. I have a few dubia that I am feeding up and will try n get him to eat this weekend, have to take him out of his enclosure for those though so will see how it goes.

MikeIsGreen

Hmmm that is very interesting! I thought maybe I was kinda crazy lol! These crickets actually look different as well. Comparing the adults from petsmart and the adults from another mom and pop pet shop they are noticeably different. From the pet shop they are longer and more "sleek". I would actually think the ones from petsmart are to his liking. I really dunno. I've considered Dubias but can't find them locally and would have to wait for nice weather to order any. How about night crawlers? I'm thinking of giving them a go over the weekend. I've read they have to be cut in half though...is this true? Thanks guys!

cjbage

What I was told with the nightcrawlers (Canadian or European .. NOT red wrigglers ) is for babies to cut them to the size of space between their eyes. Worms are on my list to try to feed mine again but when I tried before he seemed to be afraid of it.. would back away when it wiggled n hit him in the face.. idk mine came from petsmart and was for the most part ignored and from what I was told only had a couple of crickets dumped in to the tiny critter keeper in the morning n pretty much just left there so probably never seen a worm in his short life..

As far as Dubia, there is a seller here , Ash of Ready Reptile Feeders, I think he is in Illinois and can ship them, its where I got mine from and they had to go to North Carolina..

Thread Information