Thread: Sick american toad

ToadChild

Default Sick american toad

Help! Please. My toad (unknown age) named TJ is acting very weird. Two days ago, he had an incident where he suddenly slipped off his rock and hit his head ended up on his back for a minute or two tell I could get to him. Yesterday thought, he was fine, eating perfectly normal and everything, his head wasn't bleeding or anything, but today, he just is't the same. He is always spawled out, back legs at full extention, he wont move them, forced to crawl around with his upper legs. I carefully picked him up and noticed he was sneezing too, alot, and I set him down, and he forced himself up on a rock. Every time he starts drying up, I put him back in the water and he sits there for literally a minute before crawling back onto his rock and laying there. He wont stop sneezing, and during his dinner time, he paid no attention to the crickets. I had to take him outta his take and put him in Rosa, my female american toads tank, and put rosa in his so she could eat up the crickets cause the crickets nearly started eating him. Someone please help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Denmark]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick american toad

Take him to a vet as soon as possible! 8.l

Nationality
    [United States]

He may have a concussion, though I'm not sure. The sprawling out makes me wonder if he's dizzy.

The sneezing...? Do you have a good herp vet? Has he had any other respiratory symptoms lately, such as raspy breathing? Nasal drainage? It could also be a neurological symptom.

If its a concussion, sometimes symptoms will pass in a few days. He could likely also be nauseated.

I would put him in a safe hospital tank with just moist paper towels as substrate and a smooth, shallow water bowl. Cover the back and two sides of the tank. Keep the temps and humidity proper. Do only shallow water soaks, so he is safe. If this passes and he's okay, he'll want to eat in a couple days.

I would recommend a vet visit though. Soon.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

ToadChild

Unfortunately, I don't have a herp vet near me. Plus I don't have the money to take him to one either way. But i'll do as Heather suggested. I'll get my emergancy tank set up right away for him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Since he's not eating, try the diluted pedialyte soak. This will help with vital electrolytes while he's not eating.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

ToadChild

Thanks for the help everyone. But unfortunately, he didn't make it. Rosa is upset cause tj was her man, but are pond is full of tadpoles right now because of the two, but it appears when he fell off his rock and hit his head, he ended up getting water in his nose and putting a bit of water in his lungs, and when he got put right side up, he kept his head tilted downwards to try and get the water out, but he would forget to pull his head up and he'd sniff up more water into his lungs and ended up drowning himself and turning into a balloon.

Nationality
    [United States]

Aww . I'm sorry. RIP little one.

nicodimus22

Sorry to hear that he didn't make it. It's always hard to watch them pass.

If I was in your position, I would re-examine my habitat and try to eliminate any potential falling hazards I could for the future. Toads don't really need to climb, so take out anything they could fall from.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ToadChild View Post
    Help! Please. My toad (unknown age) named TJ is acting very weird. Two days ago, he had an incident where he suddenly slipped off his rock and hit his head ended up on his back for a minute or two tell I could get to him. Yesterday thought, he was fine, eating perfectly normal and everything, his head wasn't bleeding or anything, but today, he just is't the same. He is always spawled out, back legs at full extention, he wont move them, forced to crawl around with his upper legs. I carefully picked him up and noticed he was sneezing too, alot, and I set him down, and he forced himself up on a rock. Every time he starts drying up, I put him back in the water and he sits there for literally a minute before crawling back onto his rock and laying there. He wont stop sneezing, and during his dinner time, he paid no attention to the crickets. I had to take him outta his take and put him in Rosa, my female american toads tank, and put rosa in his so she could eat up the crickets cause the crickets nearly started eating him. Someone please help.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToadChild View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. But unfortunately, he didn't make it. Rosa is upset cause tj was her man, but are pond is full of tadpoles right now because of the two, but it appears when he fell off his rock and hit his head, he ended up getting water in his nose and putting a bit of water in his lungs, and when he got put right side up, he kept his head tilted downwards to try and get the water out, but he would forget to pull his head up and he'd sniff up more water into his lungs and ended up drowning himself and turning into a balloon.
    Sorry for the toad's death . I'm confused here; was the toad in a tank or in a pond (full of tadpoles) when it fell? Also, on your first post; why would you think toad was "drying out" and felt the need to put him back in the water?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry about TJ; It seems toads get sick; apparently suddenly; even before you can get them to an exotic vet.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Our special little friends are so delicate! Im so glad you have his babies, he will live on through them.

ToadChild

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Sorry for the toad's death . I'm confused here; was the toad in a tank or in a pond (full of tadpoles) when it fell? Also, on your first post; why would you think toad was "drying out" and felt the need to put him back in the water?
    TJ was in a tank when he fell. And I can tell when TJ starts to dry out, TJ when I got him, I was informed TJ has some problem where he drys out very quickly, so thats why he sits in a tank with special water to help him with that problem. He had a vitamin deficancy that kept him from holding in all the water he absorbs. Thus why he drys out, so when he does try out, his skin goes from a dark green to brown and he always sticks his back legs out as far as possible when he does. So when he got sick, he's crawl onto one of his rocks and just sit there tell his skin started turning brown and he'd begin to stretch his legs. So when ever I noticed him doing so, i'd put him in his water. He'd sit there tell he turned green again, then crawl onto the same rock. I thought that because of how he hit his head and all, he'd forget to go into the water when he needed it, so I didn't want to find my tj all dried up on a rock like some petrified pebble.

Thread Information